What to do when food gets stuck

Souperwoman
on 1/9/13 3:52 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

So, as part of learning what my tummy does and doesn't like, I've had quite a few foamy drooling episodes with stuck food.  Chewing well, slowing down, and not eating too much all help to prevent it but, for me, if I eat beef or pork it will happen regardless.

Through process of elimination, I've found that the WORST thing I can do is drink anything--it just backs up the liquid.  Reclining doesn't help for me, even vomiting only helps to get out the built up saliva (not the food).  Papaya enzyme works occasionally, but  if I wait too long and have too much saliva then it doesn't help much.

What *I* have found to help is laying on my left side.  Gets the tummy gurgling and things moving.

From what I've seen in the forums, what helps is different for everyone.  So, to help those just learning what it means for things to get stuck, what do YOU find helpful in those situations?

AprilM1969
on 1/9/13 3:59 am - OH

It only happened once for me thank goodness but I walked around my house with my arms above my head.....sounds silly but it worked!  :)

cajungirl
on 1/9/13 4:15 am

Some people use meat tenderizer and water when they get stuck from meats.  I've never tried it.  I have used papaya many times when I get foods stuck, it works for me....fair warning I burp VERY LOUD once the food passes through so beware if you try it and this happens to you.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

iisme
on 1/9/13 4:23 am, edited 1/9/13 4:32 am

Papaya enzymes work well. Also, whatever you do DON'T drink anything thinking it might loosen it and make it go down, it will just put you in worse agony.  

10 pounds loss pre-op
Dee.spunk
on 1/9/13 4:54 am - Sacramento, CA
I only got the foamies very early out, and walking around is the only thing that helped. i tried everything else and nothing helped.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

scattebury
on 1/9/13 5:30 am - MO
RNY on 01/23/13

Um this might sound strange but I'm a newbie.  Where do you get this papaya stuff?  At the supermarket?

Souperwoman
on 1/9/13 6:02 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

I got mine at the Vitamin Shoppe.  I've seen em at CVS and Walgreens occasionally as well.

katmandu
on 1/9/13 5:44 am
Last night at dinner was my first experience with food stuck and the foamies. I had minor indigestion before but 1st time for the foamies. Was very uncomfortable some sharp pains. I took papaya enzyme right away as soon as I realized I was stuck. About 10 min. later the foamies started and lasted an hour. I will eat slower, i will chew each bite at least 25 times, I will prepare smaller plates.
I did not like it at all. I will be more careful.
yippeex8
on 1/9/13 6:36 am - Jenison, MI

I accidentally swallowed a Werther's SF candy this morning, and freaked out! I'm just 2 weeks post-surgery. Called the Dr. office right away, and she said I'd already have felt pain if it was stuck, and to drink warm water with meat tenderizer or just warm water to melt the candy. It worked, jus****er. Werther's is the best candy for tasting like the full-sugar version. I just wish they made a steak and potato flavored version!

Souperwoman
on 1/9/13 9:00 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 11/20/12

haha. steak and potato Wether's...it's like Willy Wonka!!  Luckily, that candy dissolves reasonably quick (and the SF ones are smaller than the original ones).  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 515 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 430 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 360 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?