dr's found stuff during my exploratory surgery! kinda long but had to tell ya what happened.

emt_amy
on 1/13/13 8:10 am - MN
friday i went in for my exploratory surgery to find adhesions. they found some fun stuff. turns out my intestines had fused together and kinked! they repaired the adhesions and moved stuff around so hopefully it wont happen again. i also found out the hard way im allergic to dialudid/hydromorphone. as soon as i was waking up my whole body was itchy but not super itchy. i thought it was just dry skin. the nurse gave me some benadryl to help. then all of a sudden my nose started itching like mad!!! i mean want to rip off my nose itchy! i tried a cold wash cloth, lotion, ice to no success. then it started to spread to my lips so i got more benadryl then i turned to look at my mom and she just went holy cow!! your face is bright red! my cheeks, nose, lips, and chin were covered in a bright red rash. about 8 hrs later i asked the nurse if i could be having a reaction to it and he said maybe, lets switch you to oral meds and see if it goes away. not even 10 min after he stopped it the itching stopped!!!! took a few hours the rash went away too!!!!

i had 4 different kinds of pain killers in one night! switched to vicodin and only had one dose and 2 hrs later was in excruciating pain so they called the dr and he said to give me a shot of vistaril in the butt and switch to percocet and flexeril. god that shot hurt!!! i moved suddenly when she jabbed me so she had to do it again. my butt still hurts.lol

all in all it was a sucessful surgery and im so glad they listened and did something about it! i had so many drs telling me that im full of **** literally but nobody would do anything besides say take miralax, increase fiber, etc. etc.....
now im back home recovering and feeling very bad for my cat cuz i cant cuddle with her. she is 12 lbs and i have a 10 lb limit.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/13/13 8:16 am
I am so glad you got an answer. Now take it easy and get better soon. ((hugs))

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

wendydettmer
on 1/13/13 8:24 am - Rochester, NY

oh wow, what an adventure!  I am glad that they found what was, hopefully, the cause of the pain.  Rest up and feel better!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Strjen
on 1/13/13 8:39 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Glad you shared. Makes me feel better about making my surgeon do exploratory surgery on Tuesday for my abdominal pains. He really didn't want to do it because it just creates more adhesions but I can't go on having abdominal pains every time I eat & drink. I've been second guessing myself all weekend whether surgery is the answer or not. He really makes me feel bad that I want it done. Now I'm just rambling. Glad they got you squared away & I wish you a speedy recovery.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

cajungirl
on 1/13/13 8:50 am
Glad to see you posting Amy and that they hopefully have fixed the pain. Adhesions can surely cause issues. When you say intestines fused together I suppose that was due to adhesions, right?

Kinks are not always easy to find without going in glad they did before you ended up with an obstruction.

Hope the recovery is as painless as possible.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

emt_amy
on 1/13/13 8:58 am - MN
yea they were stuck together due to adhesions. i wasnt surprised that it was close to one, i kept getting told that i had a back up of stool in my system....they didnt put 2 &2 together after months of tests with no results. thanks for the well wishes.

Strjen
on 1/13/13 9:04 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Great! They told me I had a lot of stool in my abdomen on my CAT scan from when I went to the ER 3 weeks ago. This is starting to sound similar. Now I'm definitely glad I'm having it done.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

emt_amy
on 1/13/13 9:16 am - MN
good luck!

Stacey-in-Syracuse
on 1/13/13 8:55 am - Jordan, NY
RNY on 12/20/12

What an adventure you had!  I'm so glad they found what was wrong and were able to fix it.  My question is, after seeing some of the comments, is this a normal thing?  Do a lot of people end up with another surgery?  I don't want to do that!  I know it's out of our control, just wondering what the odds are.

RNY on 12/20/12 at 307.  Highest ever 326 pounds.  Goal weight 180 pounds.

emt_amy
on 1/13/13 9:00 am - MN
adhesions are common with all abdominal surgery. most of the time you dont even know you have them.

i just have bad luck in a way. lol

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 454 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views