About to revise...from VSG to RNY...

MomofGrace
on 1/18/13 12:53 am - Toledo, OH
I had VSG June 2009. Lost 140lbs..very happy..but got lazy (and away from OH) and put 30 back on. I never broke 250lbs...I am having a revision from VSG to RNY.
Has anyone else been though this revision? Just waiting on the insurance approval, but looks like it will be in Feb.
MsBatt
on 1/18/13 1:44 am

May I ask why you're turning your perfectly good Sleeve into a pouch, rather than just adding the Switch to your Sleeve for a full DS? Adding the Switch would give you the form of WLS with the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, without the potential problems of the pouch/stoma arrangement. (Think dumping, reactive hypyglycemia, strictures, blind remnant stomach, etc.)

Mary Catherine
on 1/18/13 1:51 am

Hi, post this on the revision board for the best chance of finding others who have done VSG to RNY. 

Most people who have weight loss surgery end up losing 100 pounds and regaining 20 of that so you are ahead of the average.  RNY is going to give you malabsorption which is the factor that keeps me at my goal weight,  Even though I have been told that malabsorption slows way down, I know that my food is not absorbed like before surgery.

I think you are making the best long term choice for you and hope approval comes through soon.

Karen M.
on 1/18/13 2:01 am - Mississauga, Canada

Is there a reason you're not revising to a DS?  You already have the first part of it with the sleeve.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

MomofGrace
on 1/18/13 2:41 am - Toledo, OH
Thank you. I'm new back to the board and did not notice the 'revision' forum.
I had to change surgeons since Dr Lane moved out of state. My new surgeon does not like the DS. He feels that he had more post op issues with the DS patients..months, years..later and it's not his 'preference' to do the DS unless the person is extremely obese. I am at 290lbs now.
Jilly Bean
on 1/18/13 4:21 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

My insurance won't pay for a DS (nor does my surgery "Center of Excellence" do them) on people with a BMI of less than 50.  At 290, not sure what your BMI is.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

greenolive
on 1/18/13 8:52 am

MomofGrace,

I have had the Lapband which almost killed me.  I converted to the sleeve over 2 years ago.  I loved my sleeve.  Was at goal and enjoying life.  Then, after a severe bout of vomiting I developed hiatal hernia and GERD so bad that I was on toxic doses of PPI's, antacids, etc.  and still had dime size ulcerations from the back of my throat into my intestines.   I was FORCED to revise to the RNY.

I absolutely hate it.  I am over 3 months out and still only able to drink liquids like vitamine water, gatoraide, broth, etc.  I have had to have strictures that had completely closed off my GI tract dilated twice.  I have lost so much weight I look like a skeleton.  I feel like I am dying every day.  It is almost as bad as the lapband.  I BEGGED them to do the DS and it wasn't possible with the medical problems I had. 

I am not trying to start a surgery war.  I am just telling you my experience with all 3 surgeries.  If your surgeon is insisting on the RNY, I would see someone else.  He is feeding you a line of crap.  You have the perfect beginning to the DS.  Please, please, please do your research.  Don't let them push you into anything.  Get what you want, not what the doctor wants. 

Good luck to you.

MomofGrace
on 1/21/13 9:48 pm - Toledo, OH
After a bit more research and talking to my former surgeon's PA, I am going to meet with my new surgeon this week to discuss. I am pretty set on the original plan of a DS. I have a few more questions for him regarding his experience with it. But I feel much more informed and will 'insist' if necessary on my choice. If I get any weird feelings from him, I will have to find a new surgeon.
HW: 385
SW: 377
CW: 270
Height: 5'7

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 766 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 495 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?