Caffeine for newbies?

groovykg
on 1/20/13 10:49 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I've been told by NUT to avoid caffeine (along with carbonated drinks), but I see many people are a fan of Click.  Is this caffeine avoidance forever, or just a few months?  Will Click or coffee ever be acceptable to my surgeon?

MrsLitch
on 1/20/13 10:55 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

my doc allows one cup of caffeine at 6 mo I believe.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

JP23
on 1/20/13 10:55 am
RNY on 07/10/12

My nut said limit caffeine to one serving a day as it can lead to increase appetite.  I love cappincino & will make one every day.  I buy the instant sugar free mix from hills bros & don't have a problem with it

ebtiger24
on 1/20/13 11:08 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

My NUT said limit caffeine to under 20 oz of non-carbonated a day. 

poet_kelly
on 1/20/13 11:09 am - OH

I have no way of knowing what will be acceptable to your surgeon.  The best person to ask would be him.

Personally, I see no reason to avoid caffeine forever, at least as long as you don't have ulcers (it can make ulcers worse) or severe anxiety or insomnia (it can make those worse, too).  I would use it in moderation only, though.

Decaf coffee is also an option and I think Click has a decaf version now, don't the?  I also like Syntrax Nectar cappuccino protein powder, which is caffeine free.  I think it tastes better than Click, personally, and it has more protein, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lori F.
on 1/20/13 11:15 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

My surgeon allows caffeine back on week 3.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

pattyjonichols
on 1/20/13 12:04 pm

I know your Surgeon and can't believe he'd allow caffeine at all....he must have changed his program.

Until you are done working your weight loss program....I was told to stick to Decalf Coffee, Tea , Hot Chocolate etc; for the

same reason they don't allow Chocolate or other Caffeine items.

I accidentally got one of my Husband's K-CUP coffee's instead of my Decaf...it made me sick and bloated for two days.

In fact I did not have my surgery with Barix Clinics because I wanted support and follow. reliable follow up   The Physician and Hospital I chose has pre surgery classes,  2 Month follow up meetings with the Nutritionist and Doctor for one year.  The best part is the 3 ring binder they give patients loaded with questions and answers such as yours.  I pass on one of dozens of articles from a Bariatric Support website.   Good Luck to you.

Effects of Caffeine

According to an article in the April 2003 "Critical Care Nursing Quarterly," modifying the diet is necessary for success following bariatric surgery. Caffeine, among other foods and beverages, should be avoided. People who have had this type of surgery are at risk for dehydration due to the need to limit liquids at mealtimes, often making it difficult to consume the necessary amount of liquid per day. Caffeine also inhibits the absorption of iron and may contribute to iron deficiency anemia. Caffeine increases the amount of gastric acid in the stomach, causing acid reflux for some individuals.

Sponsored Links

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/364821-caffeine-restrictio ns-for-bariatric-surgery/#ixzz2IZxvR5k0

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Lori F.
on 1/20/13 12:15 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Well I can't say what he did before but that is what he does now.  I couldn't be happier with my choice in surgeon and clinic.  Thanks.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way

poet_kelly
on 1/20/13 9:23 pm - OH

According to numerous reputable sources, including the Mayo Clinic, caffeine does not increase the risk of dehydration unless consumed in very large amounts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lori F.
on 1/20/13 10:46 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 403 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 245 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 295 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 112 views