?? for all you awesome foodies out there

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 1/19/13 11:13 am
RNY on 09/17/12

I've come across a few different types of "flour" and was wondering what kind is best/taste good?  Soy flour, oat flour, wheat flour?  I want to make stuff like pancakes, muffins, etc.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

scarlettbegonias
on 1/19/13 11:36 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Hey Shannon,

I use coconut flour corn flour and almond flour a lot- I make flour out of other nuts as well- we're gluten free but I try to keep it less carby/starchy as well 

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Louise1974
on 1/19/13 11:38 am

I am a big fan of cooking with spelt flour.  It works really well and has a lower glycemic index.  I just made blueberry muffins with half spelt and half whole wheat.  They were amazing.  If you are making muffins I always add way more fruit when cooking with whole wheat or other whole grains, it ups the moisture and makes for a yummier muffin.  And here is the best ever low carb pancake/waffle recipe ever:

Beat 1 cup cottage cheese till it is a little whipped

Beat in 4 eggs and 1/2 cup some kind of flour (I have used spelt, whole wheat, gluten free, anything works)

with mixer running add in 1/2 stick butter (you can do less here if you are worried about the fat content but I would add some)

that is it.  Batter done.  Use it for pancakes or waffles.  I have added walnuts or blueberries, I usually serve it with raspberry sauce (a bag of frozen raspberries heated on the stove and sweetened with something, stevia or splenda or whatever).  Sometimes I serve it with raspberries and a little greek yogurt on top, that ups the protein and also makes it a little less chewy and more moist which my pouch appreciates.  Have fun baking!

Louise1974
on 1/19/13 11:39 am

Oh this is important, melt the butter first, oops :)

artroxy blue
on 1/19/13 8:31 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Use whatever you want. Just pay attention to the nutritional info. Different flours will give you varying results, so experiment to see what you like. 

Good luck!

Cindyagogo
on 1/20/13 1:18 am
RNY on 02/21/12

love coconut flour!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 349 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 381 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 475 views