Did I just dump?

Careecans9801
on 1/22/13 12:46 am - cohocton, NY

Hi All...

I am one week post op and this morning I ate part of a greek yougurt, it was not my "normal" brand but I figured I would try it. Shortly after I ate it I got light headed and then had to go to the bathroom. I am thinking it must be the dumping syndrome, but since I am a newbie I thought I would reach out to you....

Surgery Date 1/14/13

poet_kelly
on 1/22/13 12:56 am - OH

Doesn't sound like dumping.  If you had dumped, you probably would have had a very rapid heartbeat, been sweaty, dizzy, had stomach pain, maybe been nauseous and possibly even thrown up.  You may have had diarrhea, but not necessarily. 

How much sugar was in the yogurt you ate?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

selhard
on 1/22/13 8:10 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Does anyone know how "dumping" got it's name?  I sure don't like how "I dumped" sounds and hope it never happens to me, but then again, I might understand the disgusting name a little bit better then!  Yikes, did I just jinx myself--knock on wood.

poet_kelly
on 1/22/13 8:12 am - OH

It's short for "dumping syndrome," and it's called dumping syndrome because food gets "dumped" into the small intestine rapidly since you don't have a pyloric valve after RNY and that causes you to absorb too much sugar too rapidly.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dee.spunk
on 1/22/13 1:16 am - Sacramento, CA
Maybe the lactose bothered you. I became lactose intolerant after surgery. I can't eat yogurt anymore.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Ladytazz
on 1/22/13 3:55 am

Dumping is kind of like being in labor.  If you have to ask you probably didn't dump.  The first time I dumped was when I accidently used regular syrup instead of sugar free and within a short time I knew I was dumping even though I didn't yet realize that I had real sugar.  I wanted to die.  I couldn't even get up to check to see if I had eaten something with sugar for about 30 minutes but as soon as I felt better I looked and there it was.  I don't know what I was thinking but I wasn't a bit surprised, I was expecting to find that it wasn't sugar free because I knew I had dumped.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 336 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 2 views
Recent Topics