Painfully Dry Skin

RebeccaElise
on 1/22/13 11:12 pm - Quincy, MA

I have been having terribly dry skin since surgery. It's mainly on my face, but not entirely. My hands and feet are itchy and the skin feels tight, and my face is literally flaking off in bits and pieces! I'm sure that most of it is this terribly dry cold weather we are having, but is it possible that some of it is my change in diet? Or hormonal changes resulting from the surgery?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions of what I can do about it? I've been slathering on the burt's bees night cream 2x/day and doing my best to get in all my water. Any other ideas? Home remedies?

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

poet_kelly
on 1/22/13 11:50 pm - OH

You may not be getting enough healthy fat in your diet.  I take flaxseed oil capsules during the winter to help with dry skin, but fish oil will work, too.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

karenp8
on 1/22/13 11:51 pm - Brighton, IL

Mine did the same thing and was somewhat dry before surgery. My son goes to a dermatologist for skin issues so I asked her for suggestions. She said as many fluids as I could drink,use a gentle body wash with Shea butter and to use a moisturizing cream like CeraVe which I found at Walmart at least twice a day. It had helped tons!

Day_dream_believer
on 1/23/13 12:08 am

For your feet and hands put Vaseline on at night and sleep in white socks.   

molly3613
on 1/23/13 1:17 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

My dermatologist also recommended CeraVe moisturizing cream and it is like magic.  I keep a jar upstairs and one downstairs.  I just ordered another from amazon last week.  They also make facial moisturizers.  I use the PM or nighttime moisturizer in the daytime as it is a little stronger and keeps the flakes away in the winter especially.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/23/13 1:22 am

For my hands I use the unscented Neutrogena Norwegian Formula hand cream. For my face I use Eucerin. I also get very dry, flaky legs, so I use apricot oil after I get out of the shower. My legs get so scaly it soaks right in.

I agree with Kelly about more fat in your diet.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 473 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 390 views