FIRST WEEK POST-OP EXPERIENCES?

katmom_02
on 1/23/13 12:59 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

I am planning on waking up in recovery in a significant amount of pain...I know that there are rare cases where people really don't have any, but I'm NOT counting on it. I am going to do my damn best to get out of the bed AT LEAST by the next day and start doing laps around the ward. I already know from all I have read that every single day that passes things get dramatically better and I have my hopes for my recovery, of course, but I would like to hear other stories about people's first post-op week. Any tips for a speedy recovery would definitely be appreciated as well.

poet_kelly
on 1/23/13 1:05 am - OH

I would expect to be up walking the same day, unless maybe if your surgery is very late in the day.  They will want you to walk as soon as possible.  I think I got back to my room by noon and was up walking by 2 or 3.

The things that will help you recover most are walking, getting your fluids, and getting your protein.

My first week post op wasn't wonderful but wasn't horrible, either.  I was tired.  I had some pain but not horrible pain.  I had some nausea and it was hard to get all my fluids and protein in.  But it wasn't that bad.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hollie313
on 1/23/13 1:15 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

They had me walking that very day.  Not a ton....but up and down the hallway.  Honestly, I didn't wake up to tons of pain because I had the lovely Morphine drip.  =)  That thing was my friend for 24 hours...lol.  Each day does get better.  Don't get discouraged if you can't get all your protein in right away.....but try your best!  Fluids & walking will help you the most.  I drank alot of skim milk that first week to help get protein in.  Good luck!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

terilynn112
on 1/23/13 1:25 am - maryland, NY
I had a very little amount of pain. I was up walking hours after my surgery, and I was a difficult band to bypass revision. Lot of scar tissue.

I was home taking care of my boys Friday night, My surgery was Tuesday morning. My program don't allow you to drink for 24 hours, then a leak study, then you get to drink. That was heavenly. By then my mouth was dry as can be.

When I came home, I had trouble with the protein shakes. I found sipping slightly difficult, nearly ended up back in. But then I was also busy taking care of twin 5 yr olds, and a 14 yr old.

Sleep when your body wants it. No Lifting. Do not try to drink to fast. And your body will tell you when it's to fast. Burping was painful in the beginning for me. So be thoughtful when you're drinking.

Most of all, rest. You will need it. Take your pain meds especially if you are getting ready for your first outing post op (I was 5 days). Thought I'd died and gone well, not to heaven.

Teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

MultiMom
on 1/23/13 1:46 am - NH

Like Teri who posted above me, I had to wait until the leak test the next morning to be able to drink. The nurse brought me little medicine cups and told me to drink one of those full every 10 minutes, and I did. I was getting enough fluids from that day on.

Walk, even if you don't want to! I never saw another patient (and I know that there were many in my ward) in all my laps around the ward or going by my room. When my surgeon came in right before I was discharged he said that the nurses told him that they thought that I was really going to do well. They called me "the walker".

Bring chapstick!! Luckily the hospital gives one to every patient with the hospitals name on it. I could have cried when I saw that little treasure! I'm not going to say I was pain free, but it was very manageable with Tylenol.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

mich4416
on 1/23/13 2:07 am
RNY on 09/26/12

The pain was not to bad...just the getting up and down was what hurt me.

Be prepared for being really REALLY sleepy....I could not hole my eyes open for the first two days. I did get up and walk the day of surgery. Twice actually and several times the next day. I went home on day three,

AprilM1969
on 1/23/13 2:20 am - OH

I wasn't in alot of pain and my RNY was open but I was just so tired the first week and I made sure I took my pain meds as directed even though I'm not much of a pain pill person.  I made sure I walked and walked and walked.  I hope everything goes well with your surgery.  Good luck :)

robyn_fresh
on 1/23/13 2:57 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Plan on being in a little painwhile in the hospital but it will be managed well. Plan to be walking the same day not day after. Don't worry so much about getting protein in while in the hospital. Worry about getting up and moving about. Oh and expect to be very very sleepy day 1 and 2.

Careecans9801
on 1/23/13 3:12 am - cohocton, NY

Right now I am 1 1/2 weeks post op and I feel great! I had basically no pain after my surgery. The only time I had pain was the day after surgery and I got some gas pains. Other than that I have been very lucky. My surgery was Monday and I was discharged Tuesday afternoon. My first week was ok, I was tired but other than that I did a lot of walking. Like a few of the previous posts said, walk even when you dont feel like it. Walking was really my saving grace for the gas. I went back to work on Monday ( I have a desk job in the winter) and I have been doing really well.

I did not go home on any pain pills as I chose not to. I did not have any pain meds at all on Tuesday. The only thing I found hard was the day after surgery I had to do a leak test, and that stuff is terrible. I had a really hard time getting it down with out gagging. When I went back to my room I got to start drinking. I was given little medicine cups and was told to get 4 of those in an hour. It was tough but I did it, and every day since then I have gotten all of my fluids in. I am still struggling with getting in all of my protein, but according to my NUT that is very common. I go back to the Dr. on Friday for my 2 week post op, and I am so excited to start my pureed food.

My only advice as a newbie as well, is take it one day at a time. You are going to feel down and you are going to question if you made the right choice.... just know this will pass and we will be successful and be on the losers bench in no time! Good luck to you!!!

Surgery Date 1/14/13

cajungirl
on 1/23/13 3:25 am

I really didn't wake up to a significant amount of pain.  I had a c-section in 2001 and the pain for the c-section was worse.  My surgeon did give a pain pump which I used as needed, not often evidently since they told me not to be scared to use it (I had lots of med left). 

I was walking that afternoon.  The first time I got out of bed it was pretty uncomfortable as I tried to pull myself up without help.  The more I got up and walked the better I felt.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 298 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views