"So, what are you doing to lose the weight?"

artroxy blue
on 1/28/13 1:10 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

On Saturday, I stopped in at my SIL's salon. One of the girls working there is losing weight "the old fashioned way", and asked me what I was doing to have such amazing results. I told her I'm the Crazy Gym Lady now, and watching what I eat since surgery. I guess she didn't know I had surgery, but then added a friend of hers had it, and was miserable and still eating McDonald's, etc. I told her there was no way I could do McDonald's--especially now! LOL 

I just thought it was an odd response since she considered surgery herself. I mean, I don't feel like I've "cheating" by having surgery. Actually, I've felt more liberated since having surgery. I don't have to constantly overdo everything, and my confidence is increasing everyday. Since losing as much as I have so far, I've been able to do so much more than I could do before surgery. I'm definitely more empowered now. 

MinnieMouse1
on 1/28/13 1:15 am
RNY on 12/06/12

People just flat out ask me.  "did you have surgery?".  Since I am keeping it a secret, I tell them "I am on a high protein diet.  Lots of protein and lots of walking."  I feel weird lying but it isn't anyone business. :)

artroxy blue
on 1/28/13 1:21 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I don't care who knows if I've had surgery. I've had a few people flat out ask me, and I have no problem telling them at this point. At first, I didn't tell many people, but now that I'm almost down 100lbs. it's hard to skirt the issue. LOL 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/28/13 1:17 am

It seems there are a fair number of people who are beating the drum hard for the 'old fashioned way'.  For me, since I do not wear bloomers and hitch up the wagon to go to town, the old fashioned way holds no interest. I tried it many times and it didn't work. I do not think there is anything morally superior in doing something the hardest or oldest way. I use a host of modern conveniences to make my life easier and more productive and do not feel bad doing it. Why should we feel shame for utilizing an effective medical treatment?

There is definitely a whiff of pride and condescension from some people regarding the old fashioned way. If they choose to feel superior, then that is fine. There is no one right way to do anything. Just my two cents' worth.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

artroxy blue
on 1/28/13 1:22 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

Well said! angry

katmom_02
on 1/28/13 1:58 am - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

I must say...I absolutely LOVE the way you put this!!! I'm SO stealing this one..kiss

angryangryangryangryangryangry

(deactivated member)
on 1/28/13 3:45 am
Very well said! No one in their right mind would argue that someone with cancer should treat it with anything but modern methods but when it comes to weight loss some people think its just mind over matter and to have surgery is to cheat. If weight loss were simple just dieting and exercising it wouldn't have such a high failure rate and be a billion dollar a year industry. Obesity is a disease just like cancer is. We only have so much control over it. Very well said!
karenp8
on 1/28/13 1:49 am - Brighton, IL

I love your explanation Rosy Kate!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/28/13 1:53 am

broken heart Thanks, Karen.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Amanda M.
on 1/28/13 1:59 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I dont plan on telling anyone. If someone asks if I am "doing it on my own", I will just tell them I am on a strict medically supervised meal plan.

My mom is a BIG one for insulting my choice. I heard about every person who "lost all this weight and looked gross and then just ballooooooned back up! Now she is fatter than before!". And the other day she saw me and goes, "better start toning your arms, you already have floppy fat". Really? Coming from the woman who has bought and then sold over 6 treadmills in the last 6 years, takes diet pills, thinks eating one mcdonalds cheeseburger every day for lunch is good because its small, and constantly talks about how she "could never live without sweets....oh, just kill me! Such a shame you are only 27 and wont be able to eat candy anymore". Some people.....

Sounds like your lady is jealous. She was trying to take positve attention off you and put it on herself. You have lost more weight, so she had to one up you by doing hers "the real way".

Sounds like you handled yourself well. Kudos!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics