Sometimes it just sucks!

jessann5
on 1/29/13 11:44 pm - Kansas City, KS

So I have had six incisional hernias since my RNY in 01/2008 and all of them have been repaired surgically. After my last one in January 2012, my surgeon told me that I would most likely never be able to pick up more than 20 pounds because  my abdominal wall muscle is so separated that hernias are inevitable if I continue to lift heavy objects.

I am A nurse, I took care of patients on a Med-Surg floor. I could not continue to work on the floor because I could no longer lift, pull or push patients because of my weight lifting restrictions and multiple hernias. I had to leave it but thankfully, I found a job at the same hospital doing "paperwork" stuff that still requires nursing knowledge, but no patient care or interaction. I miss nursing so much and it really hurts today. I loved taking care of the patients and I miss being a nurse.

If my RNY has taught me anything it is that there is a consequence to every decision, and every action has a reaction. No matter what that turns out to be either good or bad, it is still a give and take.

Just needed to get that out :) I know my OH friends understand like no one else can

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/29/13 11:49 pm
I'm sorry; that really is a disappointment.
It is hard enough to find a career you love and not being able to do all of it would be frustrating.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Lori F.
on 1/29/13 11:51 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
I'm so sorry

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Megan S.
on 1/30/13 2:31 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Have you looked into home health nursing. Maybe that way you can go visit people who are recovering and not need so much help that you wouldn't have to lift them but still have pt care. Sorry your feeling so down (hugs)

~Megan

Laura in Texas
on 1/30/13 2:45 am

I'm sorry you cannot do what you love, but it sounds like you have found a suitable replacement for now. Keep looking into other options.

I'll admit I have no knowledge of hernias. What causes them? Did being overweight cause them? Or the weight loss surgery??

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 362 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 244 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 479 views