Any Vegetarians Out There?

RebeccaElise
on 1/31/13 10:25 am - Quincy, MA

I wouldn't say that I'm a vegetarian and I'm not sure that I really want to be....but I find I feel better and my digestion is less screwy when I eat less meat. I'm interested to hear about how you handle getting in the protein, limiting the carbs, and what made you decide to take the leap? I feel like I'm maybe edging toward being a vegetarian, but I'm not quite there yet. Also, if you have any good curry recipes, I'm interested!

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

poet_kelly
on 1/31/13 10:33 am - OH

I've been a vegetarian for more than 25 years.  Initially I quit eating meat because I didn't want to kill animals.  I still think it's a more humane way to eat, but I also think it's healthier, for the most part, and it's better for the environment. 

I don't really limit carbs overall.  I limit the starchy stuff.  I eat tons of beans and dairy products and don't worry about those carbs, though.

I get about 90 grams of protein a day most days now.  I eat Greek yogurt, protein shakes, protein bars, beans of all kinds, cheese, veggie burgers and other meat substitute products.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

yippeex8
on 1/31/13 12:39 pm - Jenison, MI
Not a vegetarian nor vegan, but working on seriously eliminating gluten, as I have believed for years that wheat affects my system, sometimes seriously.
chickenoregg
on 1/31/13 1:25 pm - Portland, OR
RNY on 02/26/13
I'm not a big meat eater and my wife is vegan. Unfortunately I'm allergic to soy, which is in almost every processed meat alternative.
I'm going to focus on beans and eggs and dairy.

Surgery (RNY) scheduled for Feb 26, 2013

gbsinsatx
on 1/31/13 10:49 pm - San Antonio, TX

I am a Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian. Please see my profile page for more information.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/13 4:51 am
RNY on 04/18/12

I'm vegetarian, also.  I get at least 90 grams of protein each day; usually more than that.  I eat three meals a day, have two protein drinks for snack each day, and I usually don't struggle much with hunger -- either real hunger or head hunger.  I thank my lucky stars for that!  

I hadn't planned on going vegetarian, but my pouch doesn't care for meat, poultry, or fish, no matter how much I chew!  I don't mind, and I think it forced me to make better, healthier food choices.  I don't worry about the carbs, because I don't eat "bad" carbs like sugar or simple starches.  I eat Kashi Go Lean (high fiber/high protein) almost every day for breakfast.  I eat a lot of Greek yogurt, lots of varieties of beans, peas, lentils, vegetarian chili (one of my favorites), reduced fat cheeses, eggs, and such to make sure I'm getting enough protein.  I log everything into MyFitnessPal.com to make sure the protein is where it should be.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 235 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?