Foods Easy / Healthy Suggestions

RoyzgIrl
on 2/1/13 2:39 am

I have had a unique path since my Roux en Y surgery.One year to the day of my surgery, I had a 2nd surgery to fix a partial blockage of my intestines, I had been sick, had stomach pains for quite some time, felt nauseaus after eating anything,  I am now,15 pounds below my goal weight and finding that I have to eat as much as possible to hold on to this weight. I always dreamed of getting to eat anything I wanted to eat, and basically it is what I am having to do now to hold weight. I do not eat anything that contains sugar. I try to get my protein through my meals, but am feeling like I may need some input on healthier ways to eat. I'm not complaining, but I feel almost 'guilty' if I eat a cheeseburger and I know that most likely I shouldn't be eating a cheesburger. However I'm down from a size 26 jeans to a size 6 jeans and really don't want to get any smaller. I can't just eat chicken and vegetables or fish and vegetables, salads etc, and hold my weight. Any input? I would like to eat more nutritious foods, but also food that will give me enough calories so that I do not continue losing. Anyone else been here? 

Christy

"the two most important days of your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why"                    
Annyka
on 2/1/13 3:05 am - Pfafftown, NC

Well, you're certainly not limited to chicken or fish. Many of us successfully eat a wide variety of proteins, including beef, pork,  legumes, shellfish, lamb, veal, game, and of course dairy proteins like cheese. What is your reasoning on the hardline for sugar? No sugar grams at all? (naturally occuring sugars vs. sugar added). A cheeseburger (minus the bun for most of us) is not a bad option, though not what I'd want every day either.

What was your favorite protein in the past?

Follow my journey including lots of bariatric friendly recipes!

http://www.halfofannie.com

RoyzgIrl
on 2/1/13 3:54 am

I suppose my favorite protein in the past was red meat, beans, pork, bacon..lolol....God I still love bacon...! I love cheese of all kinds. I do eat shrimp and chicken, cheeseburgers (usually eat only one half of bun). I love Mexican food, most times don't eat any of tortilla parts. I guess I should have been clearer, I guess I should have said, that now that I've lost all the weight I wanted to lose and more. In your opinions is it ok to go back to eating some of the things that I have enjoyed in the past? Bean tostada, no tortilla,,,etc...My hardline for sugar is due to my surgeon telling me, none, ever. Period.  No sugar added, no alcohol sugars. He also said, no pretzels, no chips, no cookies, no popcorn etc..no snack foods..so I don't do those either...I guess I'm just bored with the small amount of food types I am allowed..

Christy

"the two most important days of your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why"                    
Annyka
on 2/1/13 4:04 am - Pfafftown, NC

I think 'no, not ever" is not reasonable for maintenance for most items - you're eating sugars, even if not sugar added in things like yogurt.

Beans and cheese with tomatoes and lettuce and avocado? Absolutely, no reason why not.

We eat lots of steak, brisket, roasts, I have several pork tenderloin recipes - that can be really lean.

Bacon I can't really do in strips, though with a couple sprinkles of it on another dish works for me.

Everything in moderation!

Follow my journey including lots of bariatric friendly recipes!

http://www.halfofannie.com

Ladytazz
on 2/1/13 8:08 am

I am also at least 15 lbs below my goal weight, although I could be 20-25 lbs heavier and be alright with it.  One thing I learned from being around is the worse thing you can do is eat whatever you want, especially if those things are refined carbs like bread, pasta and crackers.  It always seems to come back to bite you.  I eat often and I don't limit carbs right now, I just make sure that they are from mainly natural, unprocessed sources like fruits, vegetables and whole grains.  I also eat full fat dairy like cheese, butter and sour cream.  I am able to eat a bit more all the time and I don't want to let things get out of hand.  If I should ever gain more then I want I can always cut out the full fat things and the extra fruit and whole grains.

It is good that you don't eat sugar but refined carbs like those in bread can be just as bad for us.  I do eat bread but it is gluten free and I don't seem to have a problem with it, but bread and things with wheat and gluten set up a craving for me and I can't stop eating them.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 143 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics