Diet Rite

Nellybelly2012
on 2/3/13 3:38 am - LA

I read online where some WLS patients drink Diet Rite it has no sugar or calories. It just has the fizzle of a cold drink(soda). The cola taste like diet coke, so today I found red raspberry and since it looked like it could be better it still has that bland taste. I just wanted to feel like I had a soda but these drink are flat and nasty(to me) any suggestions? I am 1 month out.

HW 283/ SW 268/ CW 220/ GW 135  

angeleigh
on 2/3/13 3:57 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

DO diet coke, let it sit out for a few mins if the carbonation bothers your pouch. Sometimes the carbonation bothers me, sometimes it doesnt. But only time I drink any is if we go out to eat, and my husband gets something. I will take a sip of his.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Nellybelly2012
on 2/3/13 4:11 am - LA

Hi Angeleigh,

Thats the problem I fizz does not bother me as much as the sweetness of the drink. The after taste is soooo sweet that it makes me gag! I also read the you could let a regular soda go flat and drink it but so many drinks ave so much sugar in them. What other sodas have you heard of?

angeleigh
on 2/3/13 4:17 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

These are the ones we regularly get in my house, most frequent to least: You would have to check the sugar on each one, since im not looking at them now. I tend to stay away from most of them. For something other then soda how about power aide zero? or diet snapple tea.
Diet Coke
Fresca: Peach
Fresca: Black Cherry
Diet Rite: Orange
Diet Rite: Grape
Minute Maid Diet Rasberry Passionfruit juice (in soda cans)
Canadian Dry Diet Gingerale
Diet Mug Rootbeer
Sprite Zero
Diet 7 Up
Diet BarQ's Rootbeer

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Nellybelly2012
on 2/3/13 4:30 am - LA

Thanksenlightened

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/3/13 7:08 am - OH

You should DEFINITELY NOT drink "regular", sugared soda! If you really want something carbonated, there are lots of diet sodas in various flavors. Drinking calories from soda will definitely put you at risk for not losing as much weight and not maintaining what you do lose.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 2/3/13 5:46 am - West Chester, PA

i stayed off of soda for about 9 months post op. now i drink 1-2 cans of coke zero a day (or on days like today where i have a huge school deadline coming up i let myself have more for the caffeine in them!). i like the diet oranges and diet lemon-limes too. occasionally a cherry coke zero but for some reason the artificial sweetener stands out a lot in that one which is odd since it doesn't bother me in anything else, so i only get that when they don't have any of the other ones i want (sometimes the delis in nyc have slim pickings on soda choices)

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/3/13 7:05 am - OH

Are you sure that your surgeon "permits" carbonated beverages so early out?  Most surgeons that don't prohibit them entirely recommend avoiding them well beyond the one month period so that your pouch and stoma are fully healed.  My surgeon said absolutely none until 3 months out.

I personally think Diet Rite tastes disgusting and would rather have no soda than drink it.  I stick to Coke Zero and Pepsi Max (which also have no sugar and no calories).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Nellybelly2012
on 2/3/13 10:39 am - LA

I just wanted to try them but like you said they are nasty. So I will stick to my favored water!

tgs1420
on 2/3/13 1:27 pm - WI

I was told never ?

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 517 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?