22 months post op and would appreciate your help...

Marilyn101
on 2/9/13 12:29 am - FL

Hello everyone, well it has been 22 months since my WLS, it has been a incredible journey and I have been blessed not to have any complications. I feel great, but i have been straggling the last couple of months with my weight. I loss 2 pounds one week and gain it the next. it has been like this for about 9 weeks. As of today I have lost 196 pounds, l which is 4 pounds more that my weigh in in December I know at this point this is to be expected. I would appreciate any suggestions I would like to lose 30 more pounds

thynnlynn
on 2/9/13 1:12 am - MI

I have no tips to give, but almost 200# gone!!!  That is simply amazing!  How great for you!

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Marilyn101
on 2/9/13 10:59 am - FL

Thank you so much.....:)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/9/13 2:26 am
I don't have any advice but just wanted to say what a terrific job you have done. Congratulations.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Marilyn101
on 2/9/13 11:00 am - FL

Thank you so much...

TamaraL
on 2/9/13 4:06 am

it does get harder at this far out.

Are you logging your food daily??? are you exercising?? how many calories are you getting/day.

Tamara

Marilyn101
on 2/9/13 11:19 am - FL

It sure does get harder lol I do exercise 3 to 5 times a week from walking to Zumba, but i think i will have to get allot stricter with that. And no i do not log my food, have not since my WLS, I do watch what I eat and really eat very healthy.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/9/13 6:47 am - OH

I will just copy and paste my response to someone else who is 23 months out and still wants to lose 30+ pounds:

"Unfortunately, at 23 months out, your caloric malabsorption is pretty much gone, so you are fighting basically the same battle as before your RNY.  The advantage that you still have, though, is that you do have the small pouch to help you feel full with less food.  I sounds to me like your body is happy where it is, and short of eating much less and/or doing a lot of additional exercise, the scale isn't going it move much.  

How tall are you?  Are you sure that 140 pounds is a realistic goal weight for you, given your age, weight history, and body characteristics (bone structure, muscle mass, etc)?  Sometimes people somewhat arbitrarily pick a goal weight that isn't realistic for them and then get frustrated when they cannot force their odd to reach that number.  Do you know what your body fat percentage is?  That is the best indicator of what a healthy body composition is (as opposed to just weight and BMI, which is a straight height/weight ratio that doesn't take actual body compositiovn into account).  The reality is that not everyone gets to goal.

if you believe that losing another 33 pounds is truly realistic, then you will probably need to find a way to increase the daily caloric deficit (many surgeons recommend a deficit of 300-500 calories per day to lose weight) to see if you can make it happen.  I don't want to sound like I am telling you that you cannot make it happen, because you very well may be able to do it.  I am just trying to offer a more balanced, realistic outlook that might help you ease your frustration."

I quit losing at 20 months out.  I would have loved to have been 5-10 pounds smaller, and probably have 5 pounds of residual fat on my thighs, but my body simply said NO.  When my weight starts to creep up, I can cut out my daily snack and all non-dairy, non-veggie carbs and drop those excess 4 or 5 pounds (my self-imposed limit), but continuing to eat the same way does NOT yield any additional weight loss even after many weeks.  It has taken me a while to really accept it, but this is where my body wants to be.  It isn't where my brain wanted to be (although I did get to my goal weight, which was a very realistic number that took my body composition into account), but it is where I can maintain the loss living a more or less normal life. I *might* be able to force it lower if I nearly starved myself (not gonna happen.... I had this surgery to be HEALTHY) or if I worked out like a fiend (also not gonna happen even after I have one knee replaced next month), but I wouldn't be able to MAINTAIN the loss without doing that the rest of my life.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Marilyn101
on 2/12/13 10:49 am - FL

Hello Lora,

Thank you so much for your reply, I would like to lose a additional 33 pounds in hopes to be completely off the BP medication. But I believe my body might have decided enough is enough  lol.. I to had this surgery for health reasons. When I started this journey I weighed 430 lbs I now weigh 234 lbs, I am very happy with that to be honest I never thought I would lose the amount I have. I have been very blessed and have had no complications. I still follow the 30 minute drinking rule, exercise regularly and try to eat as healthy as possible( i do indulge and treat myself at time)..  I will work on it but if it does not happened i am ok with that.  I have been able to do things I never thought i would do including walking the Susan G Kolmen 3day 60 mile walk 2012. I have been very blessed.  I do not know  what my body fat percentage is, I will talk to my doctor about that.

Thank you

nfarris79
on 2/9/13 8:45 am - Germantown, MD

Looks like we had surgery the exact same day, so here's my experience: the bulk of my weight came off in the first year, so in the past YEAR, I've only lost about 10 lbs. Think of it this way - it wasn't a gain overall. Maintenance is the hard part of this journey. 

So I'm sure you know the equation of how to get those last 30 off. Just like Lora said, you'll have to do a calorie deficit. I'm not a big fan of eating less, so I exercise more when I want to operate in a deficit. You'll do it however it works for you, just keep it healthy & in moderation!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 334 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 325 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 56 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?