Gym - Frequency, Intensity, Duration

RebeccaElise
on 2/25/13 1:22 am - Quincy, MA

I went to the gym on Saturday and yesterday. Woo! (I'm pretty proud of myself.) I noticed when I was there yesterday that I didn't feel quite as strong and energetic as I had the day before. I'm thinking it's because I really pushed myself on Saturday and didn't give my muscles much time to recuperate. I was thinking that I should take today off from the gym and head back tomorrow. What do you think?

I've been doing 20-25 minutes of level 3 hills on the treadmill, 20 minutes of level 1 hills on the bike, and about 10-15 minutes of weight lifting (rotating body groups - abs/back, upper, lower.) When I get home, I stretch.

For the seasoned people: When you were in your first 3-5 months PO, how often did you go to the gym? How intensely/how long did you work out while you were there?

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Stephanie M.
on 2/25/13 1:53 am - Los Angeles, CA

Sounds like you're doing great! 

For the first 6 months after surgery, I only did walks/runs. I started the first 3 months just walking (first 15 minutes, then 30, then 45, and finally 1 hour). Then, I would begin feeling more energetic, so I would challenge myself to run a little bit each time, running more, until I got to 30 minutes running/30 minutes walking. 

Now, at over a year and a half out, I do about 1-2 hours each day. But I love it now, wheras earlier on, I did not enjoy exercise. 

Paul C.
on 2/25/13 1:57 am - Cumming, GA

How long and how intense really are about what your goals are.  When going into the gym have a plan in place of toady I am going to work on X  and then stick to that. and eventually have your whole week mapped out so you know what days you are attacking various systems.  

I have 1 day a week that the next day is 0 workout full recovery only because of the time and intensity and the physiological affects of this workout.  

I wouldn't try bike and hamster wheel on the same day.  I would say do cardio and weights everyday and rotate you muscle groups as you have indicated.  Start easy and then ramp things up.  Try a group fitness class, but find something YOU ENJOY.  The gym shouldn't be all about burning calories and stuff it should be about having fun while obtaining a new level of fitness.  If you are enjoying it you will keep at it.

If to start you go every other day then that is better than what you did last year right?  Slow and steady wins the race.

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Kim S.
on 2/25/13 2:52 am - Helena, AL

Exactly what Paul said.  I still work out 4-6 days a week after 5 years because I found things I enjoy doing and it is fun.  Try everything, even things you think you'll hate.  I tried Zumba, thought I'd like it......hated it.  I tried boxing, thought I'd hate it, loved it!  You just never know.

Oh, and send Paul a self-portrait snapped in the bathroom mirror........he loves that. Bonus points if it is in the office bathroom (fully clothed of course.......he isn't a perv!!)

Paul C.
on 2/25/13 3:21 am - Cumming, GA

Speaking of which YA SLACKER!!

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Day_dream_believer
on 2/25/13 3:19 am

I had started a program at my gym before surgery.  At about 2 wks post op I started walking at the gym.  By 6 wks I was doing 15 minutes of weights and had started the couch to 5K program.  I did this 3 times a week.  At 5 months I joined a new gym and continued doing weights 3 times a week and ran my first 5K.  At 6 months I started alternating what I did.  5 times a week I would either run for an hour, do a zumba class, or a spinning class.  3 days a week I would do weights for an hour.  2 days a week I would do pilates.  As you can see, I started out slow and added intensity and time as I went a long.

raptor62
on 2/25/13 5:34 am - IL
RNY on 07/27/12

You have to wok up to increasing your routine.  Skipping a night seems to help me rejuvenate.  For the first 3-4 months post op I got in about 3 workouts a week.  Now 7 month out I am going to a boot camp class  times a week.

So, continue what you are doing and look to increase your workout duration (1 hour) and eventually increase the number of days that you work out.

Keep up the good work!

Kevin

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?