What am I doing wrong?

RubyRoo
on 2/26/13 4:28 am - Canada

I am 7 weeks post op and I've only lost 27 lbs. I don't know what I am doing wrong...someone please help. Any advise...anybody??? I am getting so frustrated and disappointed in myself...is this RNY going to work for me?

HW: 294   Pre-Op W: 273  SW: 265

Surgery on: January 10, 2013 With Dr. L Klein at HRRH

Neen L.
on 2/26/13 4:41 am - Arlington, VA

That's almost 4 lbs. a week, so you're doing great. Some people lose a lot at once and some people lose more gradually. Please don't be disappointed in yourself. Get your protein and liquids in and do some exercise, and you'll do just fine. This can be a slow journey sometimes. I lost 100 lbs the first year and didn't lose the last 30 until almost three years later. There will be stalls and even little gains sometimes. The important thing is to not give up. No matter how pointless the effort seems, I assure you that eventually the weight will come off.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

RubyRoo
on 2/26/13 4:47 am - Canada

Thanks lovely. Its hard not to get discouraged, especially when you have someone who had surgery the same time and has lost double what I have :(  I know I shouldn't compare but sometimes its just so darn hard not to. Thanks for your support and advise. I promise I will not GIVE UP! :)

MultiMom
on 2/26/13 4:42 am - NH

The only thing you are doing wrong is expecting too much. You have lost an average of 4 pounds a week and that is wonderful! If you are drinking at least 64 ounces, getting in 60+ grams of protein and exercising you are doing everything right and the weight WILL come off, just maybe not as fast as you would like it too. Be patient.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

RubyRoo
on 2/26/13 5:02 am - Canada

Hi Martha, you are right. I shouldn't be so down on myself but I should be proud of myself.  I am trying to ge****er in..proving to be a little tougher than I thought it would be..I wont lie. Protein is going good. Getting at least 60 gm. I plan on going for a nice hour walk today...I need to start something!

Thanks honey for your kind advice!

arcydejavu
on 2/26/13 5:32 am - Murrieta, CA
RNY on 12/10/12
Hi, Don't worry you're doing great. I'm also losing at an average of 4 lbs. per week which beats anything I've tried before like dieting and starving myself to lose weight. I'm happy with my progress and you should too. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't compare yourself to others on here everyone loses weight at a different rate. Good luck to you and stay strong :)
RubyRoo
on 2/26/13 12:09 pm - Canada

You are so right! 4lbs a week is pretty awesome! Sometimes I think we just need that reminder and reassurance! Thanks honey! Xoxoxo

RebelK
on 2/26/13 7:01 am - TX
RNY on 01/15/13

I feel the same way Ruby Roo. 6 weeks post op and only 28 lbs. I keep thinking to myself "I'm the one it doesn't work for. A year from now I will be almost the same weight." LOL. I read twenty threads a week in this forum and they all have the same theme. I'm not losing. These ladies are incredibly patient and give the same encouraging answers over and over. All I am doing now is staying off that scale. It's going to drive me crazy but not nearly as crazy as watching it not budge.

Hang in there RubyRoo! We can do it! mail

Kathy

RubyRoo
on 2/26/13 12:07 pm - Canada

Aw! Thank you Kathy! I think I'm going to take your advice and stay off the scale for a bit....going to be hard!  You are right.....WE CAN DO IT! Xoxoxo

pattyjonichols
on 2/26/13 11:48 am

Hi RubyRoo

I was wondering if someone had told you that losing 27 lbs in 7 weeks was a bad thing?

As another responder said, that is a great weight loss, (almost 4 lbs per week)   Your body will respond to water, protein and exercise but you should consider 4 lbs per week awesome.    Sometimes people think that all the weight will drop off quickly and that isn't the case.  You'll have a "Window of Opportunity" for about 18 months and people lose from 2 lbs to 5 per week.  My experience is 3 lbs per week.   Don't get discouraged and you are NOT doing anything wrong.   The fact that you have lost 27 lbs should excite you and not disappoint you.  Please check with your Nutritionist to see what more you can do, but RNY will work, if you let it.   It is NOT a miracle cure for weight loss, but rather a tool to help you.  Follow the Nutritionists advice and get all your lab work done on time and you'll be fine.

Best of luck

PJM

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?