Protein intake ?????

lilisasmith3
on 2/28/13 10:10 pm
RNY on 01/31/13

Yesterday was my 1 month anniversary. I am able to get in my fluids with no problems at all. Im on a soft food phase but I am averaging only around 50 grams of protein each day. Is this ok? Is this normal? Is my hair going to fall out? My doc says I only need 60 oz fluid and 60 grams of protein a day. Is that about average? 

Lori F.
on 2/28/13 10:15 pm, edited 2/28/13 10:15 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

No idea what average is, but my nut set 73 grams of protein and 64 oz of water as my goals.  It was based on height and goal weight though.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

Missirenee
on 2/28/13 10:26 pm - Orient, OH
RNY on 01/28/13

I had surgery 3 days before you. My protein goal from the physician is 50 right now, but he is going to up it at my 2 month visit to 60 grams. 64 oz fluids required. He and the RD tell me to do the best I can, as we are still healing at this point. Make sure you are taking your vitamins as directed. I have a protein shake (Unjury), made with skim milk, every morning, or I would never be able to hit my protein goal each day.

~Missy~

I would rather live my life believing there is a God, and die to find out there's not, than to live my life as if there were no God, and die to find out there is ~ source unknown ~ 

Brenda S.
on 2/28/13 11:06 pm - FL
RNY on 04/09/13
I'm pre-op, but I've already been told by my dietician that my daily goals will be 60 protein and 60 fluids. She calculated it by using my height (5'1") and surgeon's goal weight (125).

katmom_02
on 2/28/13 11:11 pm - Orange Park, FL
RNY on 02/20/13

I'm wondering this myself. I'm only 9 days out, but find myself wondering how in the HOLY HELL am I supposed to get all this protein in? I am having a hard time just getting in liquids and I am NOT getting in what I'm supposed to be getting in, but I am trying hard.....

jerrislp
on 3/1/13 9:13 am - TX
RNY on 02/18/13

I'm the same way.  I don't understand how to get in the required protein without eating any solid foods.  I drink a protein shake and have yogurt (yuck) to get in close to 30g. I can get in another 10 or so by having sugarfree pudding with protein powder.  I've ordered some samples from unjurey and they have chicken soup with protein. 

RonSudol
on 3/1/13 1:18 am - NJ

its very difficult in the beginning.. thats the worst part.. so try your best..  as you get further out, its no biggie

i routinely hit 130+ grams of protein a day; and thats on the norm

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

rocky513
on 3/1/13 2:16 am - WI

I get over 100 grams of protein per day because if I don't my labs come back not so good.  Everyone is different.  You need to watch your labs closely and adjust your intake accordingly.   Just keep trying to up your protein intake until you get to 60 to 70 grams.  Fluid intake should eventually be at least 64 oz per day.  Early out it's hard to get to that goal...again...just keep trying.  My body requires at least 120 oz per day or I get leg cramps, headache, constipation, etc.  You will need to pay close attention to what your own body is telling you.

As for your hair...It will likely start falling out at around 3 months.  It has nothing to do with you protein intake.  Hair falling out is a side effect from the anesthesia and the trauma to your body from surgery.  Having said that...if you don't keep your protein up your hair will not grow back healthy and strong. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/1/13 2:24 am

Wow, you are doing great! I wasn't hitting anywhere near 50 grams of protein my first month out. Good job.

The good news is that the farther out you get, the easier it is to get in your protein and water. I aim for 100 grams of protein and 100 ounces of water a day, but that's my program. I hit the water easily, but some days I'm only in the 90s for protein.

Hair loss, for those who experience it, happens from telogen effluvium, which means an environmental factor or shock to the body (surgery for example) causes your hair follicles to go into a resting phase. For most of us, hair loss is a temporary nuisance.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 252 views