8 weeks out and only 41 lbs lost...WHAT CAN I DO TO SPEED UP THE PROCESS AGAIN?

antigone139
on 3/1/13 4:53 am - TX

I must admit that I am not getting in 70g of protein...One of my co-workers that have  is 4 yrs post op told me that her doctor told her that if she isnt hungry to just not eat.  I have a sit down job and walk at night with my boyfriend for 20-30 mins.  I am scared to start a circuit training regimen. (I don't know why).  I wish there was a support group I could go to.  But the one that is offered by my surgeon usually only has people that have yet to have surgery in attendance. My next check in is 03/22/2013.  I am scared that my surgeon will be like you should have lost more in this amount of time.  I feel as if I am already failing...again. Someone please help with any advice you can.  Did anyone else out there hit a plateau at 2 months???

Starting weight 250lbs     current weight: 209.3  Height 5'5"indecision

anewbeginning2012
on 3/1/13 5:04 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

You have lost 41 lbs in 2 months...

when have you ever lost 20 lbs a month?? That is not slow, it's not a race. Are you feeling better, fitting into clothes you haven't fit into for awhile?...Yes, you do hit plateaus...but you just keep doing what you are doing and you will break through and start going down again. It is frustrating when the scales don't move- but I just feel so wonderful and have in my mind-- it's not a race!! it will come off, I didn't gain it over night, so I know I wouldn't lose it over night. It's an amazing journey.

You are doing great, just don't get frustrated about the scale.

Kris        
noftessa0401
on 3/1/13 5:05 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

Let me make sure I have this straight.  You are 8 weeks out.  You've lost 40.7 pounds.  So, essentially, you have lost over 5 pounds per week.  How much more/faster were you expecting to lose?

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

Amanda M.
on 3/1/13 5:06 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Is that including pre op diet weight loss or just post op? I am 6 weeks out today and am down 25 pounds since surgery, 41 since pre op diet.

I think you are doing just fine. Give yourself more credit! 40 pounds in 8 weeks is an average of 5 pounds a week. What is your goal weight? I would guess 130-140 on the low end? You have lost over 30% of your excess weight already! My doctor says they are very happy with patients who have lost 30% of excess weight by 3 months. You are at that at two months! Be proud, dammit!

michelle M.
on 3/1/13 5:14 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

I am 6 weeks post op and I have lost about 20 lbs.  I started out at 232 lbs.  I hit a stall around 3 weeks and am just now starting to lose again, although slowly.  I saw my doctor today for the 6 week follow up and he wasn't disappointed that I had only lost 7 lbs in 4 weeks.  He started going over what i was eating and determined that i was indeed getting too much sugar in my meals.  For example i was taking 1 cup of skim milk per day with one of my supplements.  Too much sugar in skim milk.  Anyway long story short.  it is really important to get in your shakes and make sure they are low in sugar and high in protein.  better to drink a protein shake than the meal, this will help the weight loss pick and increase your energy...At least that is what was told at the doctors today.  recheck what you are eating and make sure the white stuff like noodles, breads, crackers and crap like that isn't sneaking into your meals.  Today my Doctor told me to eat fruit, spinach and forget adding starches to my regular meals.  Salmon and steamed spinach..yess.....mashed potatoes.....no....i

i like you am trying to figure out to jump start the weight loss again.  These are just some suggestions from my doctor.

Hope it helps...It may help other people give advice if you listed the foods you are eating.  It may be an eye opener or it could be that you are just needing to get your protein in and you have just slowed down for a little while.  No matter what the cause You Are Not a Failure.  You are just starting this journey and there is a learning cure to this....Be patient It will come.

m

poet_kelly
on 3/1/13 5:24 am - OH

That works out to five lbs a week, which is a perfectly normal rate of weight loss.  I don't know of any way to speed things up so you lose faster than normal.  My advice is to follow your plan.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

charlenedoiron
on 3/1/13 5:25 am - Markham, Canada

I am also very frustrated with how slow my weight loss is.  My surgery was on Dec. 28th and I've only lost 34lbs. I called my dietician last week and she told me I was not eating enough and tha  will throw your body into starvation mode. I do still find it hard to eat as much as they tell me is the right amount. I'm not getting as much exercise as you so I'm sure that's part of the problem but at my last meeting the dietician warned us about to much exercise this soon.   My next appointment is march 12th so I hope to get some answers then.  I also feel like I'm failing but everyone tells me to just trust it will happen and the amount and speed of the weight loss is different for everyone.  I know this isn't an answer for you but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Patm
on 3/1/13 5:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have often found that when my weight loss slowed or stopped I would lose inches. Your body does need to adjust to the change in diet. You are doing great but make sure you get in your protein. Your body needs it for healing

Joyceebaby
on 3/1/13 7:21 am
RNY on 11/29/12

Only?????  Starting at 250 pounds (according to your post), that's a FANTASTIC number!!!  WAY ahead of the average.  Celebrate!!  

Lori F.
on 3/1/13 7:22 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

I don't see how that is slow at all.  It's 5 lbs a week!

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"