3 weeks out, tuna, regular relish, ill...what's my problem?

daniaj
on 3/8/13 4:17 pm - OR

Thanks for the thoughts. I don't understand when my body reacts what it means. I've never once thrown up after surgery so am curious what it is I'm experiencing.

I'm now three weeks post-op and eat slowly and thoroughly. I was given the go ahead a few days ago to go to mushy meats/beans/eggs/etc. On Monday I tried 3 oz of tuna with about 1 Tbsp. of sweet relish (normal). I ate most of it but thought I ate too much as I felt I had a softball in the center of my chest and my mouth watered like I was going to get sick. I chalked it up to eating too much as it passed within about 30 minutes.

Tonight I tried tuna with sweet relish again and I ate maybe a 1/2 oz and started experiencing the same symptoms again...watery mouth, softball in the chest....gone in 30 minutes.

Is this what dumping is prompted by the relish? Am I eating relish too prematurely at 3 weeks? Or, am I having a toleration issue with tuna? I'm really hoping to be able to spice up some some of these foods!

Thanks for the ideas. I use to have stomach that tolerated just about any kind of spice and interestingly I handle chicken with hot spicy mustard and baby shrimp with garlic just fine now.

RNY 02/14/13 - HW 268 - SW 252 - CW 146 - GW 140 - 5' 9"

CarolF3
on 3/8/13 7:03 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

Relish is too soon. I know my surgeon's office told me to stay away from it until later on down the line. Tuna with light mayo is it. -No relish of any kind yet. That is why the dumping.

Carol

poet_kelly
on 3/8/13 9:01 pm - OH

Actually, she is not describing symptoms of dumping.  Symptoms of dumping include rapid heart rate, sweating, dizziness, abdominal pain (not chest pain), and sometimes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

katzmeow13
on 3/8/13 7:48 pm

some things are just harder to digest... and it can vary from person to person.

To be honest it can vary from day to day.

The feeling you describe is what I get if I ate too fast ... a bite was too big... or I didn't chew enough.

... and then there are 'bad pouch days' where the only thing that goes in is greek yogurt and protein shakes.

I think we should consider ourselves lucky that the 'bad' feelings only last 20-30 minutes, because some folks out there feel like that for hours.

I am out 7 weeks... still all new to me... even newer to you.... it's a process of elimination and if something doesn't work for you at 3 weeks, wait a few more and try again a month down the road. It's not like you will never be able to eat tuna again, you don't know that yet... but for now stick with what works... as the other poster said it could be the sugar in the relish too.

Good luck

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

poet_kelly
on 3/8/13 9:00 pm - OH

That's not dumping.  I suspect the tuna is just too dense for you right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pastorkerry
on 3/8/13 9:02 pm - GA
RNY on 12/20/12
I did not have a problem with relish at that point with tuna. Sounds like you ate too much or too fast. That's the same feeling I get when I do. I also get that feeling when I eat something too hard for me to digest this early. Some days I can eat four ounces of something and the next day I can't eat but 1/2 ounce of the same thing. It's all part of our learning to live with our RNY. Dumping occurs when you eat too much white sugar. Does not sound like you did that. Hang in there.
thynnlynn
on 3/8/13 10:53 pm, edited 3/8/13 10:53 pm - MI

Sweet relish has a lot of sugar in it.  Perhaps if you tried dill relish with a bit of sweetener that you like.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Dee.spunk
on 3/8/13 10:55 pm - Sacramento, CA
It sounds as though you just took one bite to many. Maybe slow it down a bit and don't forget to chew really well.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

tgs1420
on 3/9/13 12:22 am - WI

I cuold only eat 2 tablspoons total thats a 1/4 cup 2 oz. so 3 oz tuna and 1 oz relish is a 1/2 cup  !

BezoarGirl
on 3/9/13 2:59 am - WA

Three weeks out I was only on liquid and protein shakes.  Our pouch has to heal.  Then when  you do try fish becareful.  I wasn't allowed fish or chicken until 9 weeks out.  When you get there try some dill relish instead of the sweet which has sugar in it. 

Dill relish has no sugar and is tasty. 

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?