I feel like I have been sabatoged!

shrinkingit
on 3/8/13 11:05 am
RNY on 11/13/12
I have only "seen" my surgeon once at the orientation and then met him abut 5 minutes before they wheeled me into surgery. I have seen his physician's assistant a few times now.
Surgery was Nov 13, 2012 went for my follow up with the P.A. in Dec 2012. She told me I was doing fine, and to move onto a regular diet. She also gave a few meal ideas one whi*****luded lean ground beef and also said a good source of protein would be bean of all kinds.
I went to my 3 month (which is actually a 3 3/4 month) appointment yesterday, as we were discussing my concern for slow weight loss of 55 pounds so far. She asked me some of the foods I have been eating then proceeds to tell me that I am not eating enough calories and that I should not be having ANY BEANS or protein bars at all. I am so confused now. My dietician says these are great products for me to teat and the P.A. told me to eat these back in Dec.

What are your opinions? I feel that I have almost been sabotaged! Beans or No beans? Protein bars or not? HELP

Cathy H

aka Shrinkingit- slowly but surelyheart

michelle M.
on 3/8/13 11:15 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

Well, i met with my doctor and his assistant and was told that s/p 7 weeks out i could have a protein bar but to watch out for the sugar content.  They were more concerned that i would like them to much and get too many carbs and sugars it i started to replace all of my protein drinks with them.  I am basically eating mostly softer foods.  They also told me that chilli was an excellent choice for a meal.  Never mentioned that i should leave out the beans.  I think that chili is one great food for us.  Has plenty of protein and is wet enough to tolerate w/o throwing up.  My motto at this early stage is to eat what i can tolerate.  If it doesn't have too many carbs or sugar and it has a good amount of protein, stays down when i eat it,  It is a keeper!

michelle M.
on 3/8/13 11:17 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

Great on your weight loss.  Can't weight to hit 30 lbs myself, then i will know i am  doing this.  It is just such slow going.  haha

65rosesmom
on 3/8/13 11:18 am

I'm sorry you are feeling so sabotaged.   I have had to educate myself a great deal, as I don't feel my nutritionist, surgeon, or PA are all that helpful.   Both beans and protein bars are a pretty regular part of my diet.    I try to only get one protein bar or protein shake a day, preferring to get my protein in more whole and natural ways, as I'm trying hard to keep my diet as minimally processed as possible.  But that being said, if you need to get in the protein and you make good choices on the bars you use in terms of the protein/sugar/carbs, than there is nothing wrong with including it in your day.    I have beans several times a week.    I don't know why you are getting contradictory info, but I would think you should just read all your packaging or download an app such as myfitnesspal to help you calculate your protein and other nutritional info.   

Oh and 55lbs in 3 months is GREAT...when have you ever done that before?     Don't worry about the bariatric center and focus on finding your way. . . you will do it and you will lose!!!

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

michelle M.
on 3/8/13 11:21 am - oakdale, PA
RNY on 01/17/13

Yes, i so agree with you.  You have to do what is working for you.  

Good advice!

MrsLitch
on 3/8/13 11:25 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

First off your weight loss is not slow. 3-5 pounds a week is avg and you fall right in the middle of that.

Secondly every doctor has different rules of what you can have and when. My doctor is a bit different then most I've seen on here. I was allowed eggs meat and cheese for the first 3 mo. 1/2 cup veggies at 3 mo 1/2 cup of fruit at four months. A protein shake if needed to reach the goal of 60 grams a day. dairy (milk yogurt) not until 6 mo or 75% of ewl. I just bought some protein bars tonight to try for the first time. I wouldn't have had room for them at your stage with the dense protein going in.

I know at 3 mo I wasn't eating enough calories either and my doc had me aim for 800 a day so I could add exercise. It took me until almost 5 mo out to get to that number.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

poet_kelly
on 3/8/13 12:14 pm - OH

I've eaten a lot of beans since I was just a couple weeks post op.  I think they are a great source of protein, good carbs, and fiber.  Why did she now say you shouldn't eat them?  Did you ask why she said they were OK previously?

As far as protein bars, I think it depends on the bar.  Some are high in calories and sugar, some arent/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shrinkingit
on 3/8/13 1:13 pm
RNY on 11/13/12
I did question why she thought I shouldn't have bean of any type at this point, all she responded with is that they are full of complex carbs. I guess I really need to educate myself a little better. I wasn't comfortable with asking her why she told me I should incorporate certain things so early on after surgery and then now she saying I shouldn't be having any of them. I think I am going to ask to see the other physicians assistant or actual surgeon when I go back in two months.

Cathy H

aka Shrinkingit- slowly but surelyheart

poet_kelly
on 3/8/13 1:25 pm - OH

Beans do have complex carbs.  We need some carbs in our diet and complex carbs are better for us then simple carbs.

I understand feeling uncomfortable asking why she was telling you something different than she said before.  But you are paying her for her advice.  If her advice doesn't make sense, you have every right to question her about it.  If you feel like she is sabotaging you in some way, you definitely have every right to address that.  Why should you pay for that?

Asking to see the other PA or the surgeon  next time is fine, too.  They may tell you something very different than what she said.

If you go to bariatricfoodie.com, there is a good series of articles there about different kinds of carbs.  Here's the link: http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/03/bf-basics-carb-c onfusion.html

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 3/8/13 1:33 pm

Beans and protein bars are both excellent choices.  With protein bars, I do recommend sticking to the Quest bars that have no sugar and lots of fiber with 3 net carbs.  Many protein bars are just candy bars with protein added.

55 pounds is not slow weight loss.  It is excellent for almost four months out.  I tracked my calories and it took me six months to get to 800 a day and that was only with adding shakes

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404