Which iron for new post op?

groovykg
on 3/10/13 11:14 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I bought Tender Iron capsules, but I'm apparently not allowed to take capsules until week 12.  I'm supposed to be crushing tablets and opening capsules into yogurt or something in the meantime.  Should I do that with the Tender Iron, or should I take something else in the meantime?

65rosesmom
on 3/10/13 11:35 am

I use Sundown Iron -- make sure its the carbonyl iron.  They are very small tablets.  I'm sure you can crush them.   A bottle of 200 tabs was 4.99 at Walgreens online, plus they had B1G1 50% off.   So I wound up paying $7.50 for two bottles.  Should last me awhile.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

poet_kelly
on 3/10/13 11:59 am - OH

You can open them if you want.  Just FYI, the ASMBS says it's OK to swallow vitamins as soon as you can tolerate swallowing pills.  Most people are able to swallow capsules, especially if they are not gigantic, before 12 weeks post op.  Many of us were swallowing them while we were still in the hospital after surgery.

If you want chewable iron, I think vitalady has some.  Bariatric Advantage also has chewable carbonyl iron.  I would stick with carbonyl since it usually doesn't cause constipation like most other types of iron do, plus it's absorbed well in a low acid environment.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

groovykg
on 3/10/13 12:48 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

Sundown has calcium! http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sundown-naturals-high-potency-perfect-iron-tablets/ID=prod6021585-product  That's alarming.

poet_kelly
on 3/10/13 12:53 pm - OH

I looked on my bottle and don't see the calcium in it.  However, I know it used to have some form of calcium, maybe dicalcium phosphate?  It was  small amount used as a filler.  Not enough to interfere with absorption of the iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

THE_life10
on 3/10/13 1:51 pm
RNY on 03/26/12

carbonyl iron worked best for me..i was suffering from anemia bad and it helped get things moving back in the right direction minus the consipation. I was able to locate mine at walmart for cheap so I got about 3 bottles. 

good luck!

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?