Buffet options 2 weeks post op?

groovykg
on 3/12/13 11:55 am - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

A friend has invited me to a dinner theater this week because her husband has a sudden work obligation and I will be 15 days post op.  On reviewing the website, it seems to be a buffet.  I just phoned the place to ask about soup options and was told they don't serve soup (!!!!).  Being on purees, I'm kind of SOL.  The girl who answered the phone offered to have the manager call me, so maybe they can find a can of soup for me?

My friend doesn't know about my RNY, but I will tell her that I had hernia surgery and won't be eating much.  So this is my first "challenge," I suppose, navigating a buffet just 2 weeks out.  They do have mashed potatoes. I haven't tried those yet, and I'm not usually a fan, but I will feel completely stupid just sitting there sipping water while everyone gorges on a buffet for 90 minutes before the show.   Also, I haven't really experimented with anything, so even if there were a soft fi**** would be a first for me, and I think I might be too afraid to attempt that away from home.  

My mother (10 years post op) thinks I should tell my friend I can't go.  

What to do.

madeformore
on 3/12/13 12:02 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

You'll be very limited. If there's a salad bar, there might be cottage cheese? Its very possible you might find nothing there you can eat so I'd be prepared for that. Maybe sneak in a protein shake or yogurt in your purse. If you are really uncomfortable with the situation or don't trust your willpower, then considering declining the invitation isn't a bad idea. If you go, just have a plan for what you will do if there is nothing you can eat. You could tell people you are fasting for some lab work the next day. Good luck!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Karen8268
on 3/12/13 12:03 pm - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
I would not try anything new while out. Why not bring a package of dry soup mix and ask for a cup of ho****er? Mashed potatoes work but you can not be sure what they put in them if you did not make them yourself. Make sure you have a bottle of water or crystal lite with you too. You could also have a shake before you go or bring a ready-mixed one like Muscle Milk with you.
Don't stay home unless you really don't want to go. We have to learn how to live in the real world again with our new anatomy. Always a way around it.
Have fun!!

Kim7777
on 3/12/13 12:05 pm - NC
RNY on 02/04/13

I was allowed to eat anything that I could cut with a fork 2 weeks post op.  I'm sure there is something on the buffet that you could eat.  Believe me you won't eat much more than a few spoonfuls of anything anyway so I would stick to your story and go have fun!  Good luck!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/12/13 12:14 pm - Baltimore, MD

Ok so let me see if I have this straight. You are going to a place where there are not many good food options at a time when you technically don't HAVE to eat (and probably have limited desire to) and yet you feel compelled to eat because of how you will be perceived for not eating?

That, to me, sounds like one of those methods of thinking that landed us on the table in the first place. That's not saying to be mean, but who cares what they think? Have a protein drink before you go, sip some water there and enjoy your friends. You don't HAVE to eat. And in reality there will be situations where the best thing you can do is refrain from eating. 

Your other option...not going...is that why you had surgery? To exclude yourself from situations? Or was it to gain better control of your eating so you can participate in life? If it is the latter, then not going seems to defeat that purpose in my humble opinion. Unless you are at a point where you feel like temptation will drive you to violate your post-surgical plan and possibly harm yourself OR if you feel like going would be psychologically damaging (both of which are very real possibilities) I say go and don't eat. Throw perception to the wind. As a post-op you're going to have to learn to embrace the fact that you will ALWAYS be just a little bit different than everybody else.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Jules0225
on 3/12/13 12:20 pm
I think everyone has made good points. All I want to mention is about the mashed potatoes. If they're instant and have that fake popcorn buttery ick in them. Make me really sick. And not OMG throw up sick like nauseous to the core, don't want to move, can't throw up sick. So yeah I would bring some stuff with you. Idk if you can eat string cheese yet but that's one of my fav on the go snacks. Or like others have suggest soup mix or a shake. I understand how some people are private people but I decided from the door I was going to own this shi- and I would gladly talk to and educate anyone who'd listen on my wls journey. May I ask why she doesn't know about the surgery? I just started a new job six weeks ago. Training class of 28 including both trainers. They all know and ask questions on not just surgery but advice on eating healthy and recipes and what'd I do pre op and stuff. Everyone has their reasons and I respect everyone on here tremendously. I guess I just want to let people know its not all bad. Sorry for derailing your thread some. :-/

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

bbearsmama
on 3/12/13 12:46 pm
RNY on 02/28/13

Could you find a reason to get there right before the show (so that you don't have to do the buffet)?

Pam :)

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

65rosesmom
on 3/12/13 12:47 pm

If you have been cooped up in your house drinking liquids and shakes and not much else for the last two weeks, be VERY careful.   You do not want to ruin your night by eating something that makes you sick.   Buffets are dangerous, in my opinion, especially so early out.   Eat first.  Drink something there and enjoy a night away from your home.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

RonSudol
on 3/12/13 1:17 pm - NJ

cliffnotes : you are lying to your friend.. gotcha!

Here is your answer.. dont go.. you dont have to attend.. sometimes its best to not base social events around food anyways (food for thought, see what i did there?)

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

selhard
on 3/12/13 1:37 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

What to do?  I vote for listening to your mother :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views