Birthday party tomorrow

megs617
on 3/15/13 8:24 am

My son turned 5 on Wednesday, and tomorrow we are having his birthday party!  I'm very excited, and looking forward to all our family and friends coming over for a fun day.  I love to entertain and have a great house to do so, however, I'm feeling a little sad today. 

Up until now I have had no problems preparing food for my family, but for some reason today, as I was cooking I got a little sad.  I  think this is the first time since I had surgery at the end of January that I am mourning food...Maybe I'm just having a weak moment...I'm hoping it will pass. I'm generally so upbeat, and excited about things. It will be weird to not have a piece of cake...I know food isn't everything, I'm learning that more and more everyday, but It's hard knowing that everyone will be enjoying, while I'll be quietly off to the side.  I'm really not complaining, atleast I'm trying not too, just wondering how you pro RNYers handle situations like this? 

lgushea
on 3/15/13 8:47 am

First don't stay "quietly off to the side"! Second practice gratitude, to be alive and started on your own road of adventure to thinness, and for having that wonderful son! You'll find the day will go by quickly. I'm 10 months out and I now allow myself one bite of of what ever I'm craving. Just knowing I can have a bite if I want it is often enough to let me pass on it. At your stage I just told myself it is sugar containing and I don't want to take any chance on dumping, the thought of dumpong scares the desire right out of me! Have a great party for the 5 year old.

madeformore
on 3/15/13 12:54 pm - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

I'm going to tell you something that you already know, to help you put it back in perspective - the party isn't about the cake, its about your son. Keep your focus on him and keep yourself busy with the details of the day. While they are enjoying the cake, take pictures, refill drinks, cleanup garbage. Whatever it takes to distract you until that time is over. And then send home leftover cake with others so it doesn't continue to tempt you. And a small slice of cake at a birthday party is not going to be off limits forever (unless you dump easily, in which case you may not even want it, knowing how cruddy it will make you feel!). You've made the sacrifice of not eating cake at you son's birthday party in order to celebrate many, many, many more birthdays with him in the years to come. I agree that it can be difficult, but its also worth it. Good luck tomorrow. I hope you enjoy the very special day!

Amy

PS - My middle son turned 5 in January. Our kiddos are pretty close in age! :)

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views