its annoying that not everyone who looks at my labs cares

65rosesmom
on 3/19/13 11:57 am

I had my 6 month labs done last month.  I had them send the results to my primary doc and I discussed them with the surgeon, NUT, and PA at my surgeon's office.  I was sent on my way, told all was fine.   I got home and recorded them on my spreadsheet and noticed my ferritin was VERY low (like an 8 -- though up from my 3 month labs of a 5) , although my other iron and blood count was fine, I was not happy.   Why wouldn't they point this out....who cares if my hemoglobin and hematacrit and iron are all good, isn't the ferritin the first to dip???     So I did my own adjustments...upped my iron & b-12.    I also noticed my D was on the low end of the range, definitely not where I think it should be, though up from my 3 month labs and so adjusted my intake on that as well.     I'm on top of it, why isn't my doctor's office??

Today I got a call from my primary docs office.  She called to let me know she got the labs and she is concerned about anemia.  She wants me to increase my iron (which I already did) and come see her for new labs in 2 months.  My surgeon doesn't want to see me for another 6 months.  GRR.   I'm so glad that my primary is paying attention and I will have her follow my labs.  I'm just so annoyed I paid all those program fees, etc and I'm not getting very good follow up from their office.  Someone who is less informed than I could really be screwed!!!!

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

cajungirl
on 3/19/13 12:24 pm, edited 3/19/13 7:23 pm
This is exactly why I recommend getting copies and tracking. Most medical personnel aren't concerned until deficiencies. I'd be upset also with the low ferritin and nothing mentioned. Possibly because its higher than it was last time, idk?

Smart move on staying on top of it and glad your primary will be monitoring for an increase in a couple of months.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

65rosesmom
on 3/19/13 12:36 pm

Yea, I am really glad I took the advice I read on here about getting copies and tracking.   I've always believed in being an educated patient, but I had greater faith in my caregivers than I suppose I should have.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 383 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 279 views