Gallstones or some other myseterious thing?

Kelly S.
on 3/20/13 4:47 am

My doc called today to say that my test results show that I do indeed have gallstones. She said they may or may not be the reason I have had so much discomfort, pain, gas, etc. For those out there that have had RNY and gallstones, did you find that you had other symptoms that didn't seem to relate to what the doc thought you should have? I know we tend to be more gassy after surgery, but until recently I never struggled with the gas PAIN I have had and the diarrhead. 

Did you have trouble with this with gallstones?  If so, did it improve once the gallstones were resolved (with or without surgery to remove the gallbladder as I understand that may not be necessary).

20 pounds lost during two week pre-op diet.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/20/13 5:10 am - OH

My pre-op ultrasound showed that I had some gallstones, but they had not caused me any trouble, so my surgeon opted to leave my gallbladder when she did my open RNY.  (I did not find this out until 2 years post-op.  if I had known about it when I ahd surgery, I wowing have asked her to just take the gallbladder out.)

I eventually had my gallbladder removed because a stone blocked the duct and I developed pancreatitis.  Once the stone moved and the pancreas calmed down, they took the gallbladder out.  I did not have any other symptoms until I developed the pancreatitis, but once I had recovered from the gallbladder surgery, I noticed how much BETTER I felt in general than I had been before the surgery.  I didn't feel bad before the gallbladder removal, but had been feeling kind of lethargic and just a bit out of sorts. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Kelly S.
on 3/20/13 5:14 am

Thanks Lora, I do feel out of sorts too.  But I have a lot of gas and gas pain along with non-stop burping that does not seem to be better or worse with diet.  No matter what I eat or don't eat it seems to have no rhyme or reason.

Kelly S.
on 1/18/20 5:06 am

So, I did end up having my gallbladder out. It was necrotic and made me very sick before they figured out what was causing it.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics