OT - Enter at your own risk (skull and crossbones!)

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/13 12:31 am - Baltimore, MD

I warned you!

Ok so long story short, made long: I went to get my monthly pedicure on Friday. You know, the one where they scrub down your legs with the sea salt and do a mud mask, do a hot stone massage, paraffin wax and the whole nine? Yeah, anyway I was reading a magazine most of the time but happened to glance down at my foot after the wax and at first thought there was still wax on my big toenail. When I pointed it out the nail tech said no, it's a toenail fungus.

ACK!!!

It's actually quite large and the nail tech's unqualified opinion was that my toenail would eventually fall off (ack!!!) but this was nothing to worry about because funguses are easy to treat and the toenail will grow back. Worried, I did what any reasonable person would do.

i Googled it.

Now opinions vary on what to do. Some sites say see a podiatrist. Some say you can simply go to an urgent care facility, others say you can treat it at home.

HELP!

Does anyone know what I should do? I don't so much have a problem going to the doctor but I just don't wanna take time off and etc., etc. if this really is something that could/should be remedied myself.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

dahoodman
on 3/25/13 1:16 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I would hit the podiatrist! I had an ingrown toenail that I suffered with for about seven months before I got brave enough to go. I'm so glad I went. Problem was resolved in minutes with no pain. I tried home remedies and all kinds of stuff. A podiatrist will have this resolved for you quicker but remind him/her of your surgery if meds are prescribed.

i hope it clears up for you.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/13 1:16 am
RNY on 04/18/12

I know there is a prescription medication you can take to try to get rid of the fungus and re-grow a healthy toenail, but I'm not sure what it is called.  You could ask your primary care physician about it.

I don't think the over-the-counter treatments work.  I had a toenail fungus for years, and I finally had the toenail removed by a podiatrist last year.  It hurt for a few days, but now that it's healed it doesn't look all that bad.

Kim S.
on 3/25/13 1:36 am - Helena, AL

1st thing-don't panic! The treatment options depend on how bad the nail fungus is, and the only way to know is to have it checked by a professional.  Nail fungus is very hard to cure.  There is a medication for it, but you have to have a liver scan before they'll let you take it.  BUT!  You only need something that extreme if the fungus is advanced. 

Please do not rely on a nail tech to "diagnose"......go to a podiatrist.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/13 1:45 am - Baltimore, MD

Oh no, I wouldn't rely on the nail tech for a diagnosis. Really she was just the catalyst for me researching it so extensively. I was giving more credence to things I read on WebMD and the like (which might have been an equally bad idea). 

Sigh...guess I gotta go...

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

poet_kelly
on 3/25/13 1:38 am - OH

Go to the doctor.

And make sure when you get a pedicure, that they use clean, sterilized tools - otherwise, they can end up spreading nail fungus.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 3/25/13 1:57 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

podiatrist and then stop going to the nail tech! My nail tech is the cause of my toe issues which have resulted in thousands of dollars in care the last year. ugh!

My podiatrist does have cute "nail polish" that stops fungus it used to come only in clear but now comes in all types of colors.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cleopatra_Nik
on 3/25/13 2:04 am - Baltimore, MD

Wow, really?

Come to think of it, it's only in the last few months I've gone for regular pedis and this is my first ever fungus. So I think you might be right!

SarahLee1969
on 3/25/13 10:50 am - NY
Most reputable nail salons and spas refuse to work on someone with a suspected fungus as it spreads very easily and is difficult to clean the equipment.
I do massage in a spa that declines pedicures if they suspect a fungus. They also have pipeless tubs that are easier to sanitize and use all disposable implements (buffers, files, etc) . The sanitizer they use is hospital grade and will kill fungus, bacteria, and even aids virus.
You can call around or ask friends if there is a place like this around you... for after you get the nails treated by a doctor.
You may pay a little more, but it is well worth it!
Joyceebaby
on 3/25/13 2:19 am
RNY on 11/29/12

As someone who works frequently at an Urgent Care facility, I can say, don't do that!  Toenail fungus is not "urgent" and the staff wouldn't appreciate it.  

A podiatrist is one way to go.  Your PCP should be able to prescribe meds for toenail fungus.  Most take about 12 weeks to start seeing new healthy growth.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics