Taking bipolar meds. and not losing

glad2balive
on 3/28/13 5:35 am

Post-op and after reaching goal I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder. The meds I am on are prozac 20 mg once a day, depakote 250 mg three times a day, clonazepam 3 times a day. I gained weight while doctor adjusted my meds. I need to lose 25+ lbs. to re-reach my goal but I am not losing anything pounds or inches.  How many calories should I intake? What can I do differently because I feel like a failure for not reaching and maintaining my goal? PLEASE HELP!

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

Jilly Bean
on 3/28/13 5:48 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

I took depakote when I was first diagnosed about 10-12 years ago.  I gained as well.  I take a weight-neutral drug now (Lexapro).  Some drugs just have that side-effect.  The only advice I can give is to start with the basics and maybe meet with your NUT.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

glad2balive
on 3/28/13 5:52 am
dreakixxes
on 3/28/13 12:02 pm - Raymond, NH
RNY on 03/05/12

I too have bi-polar. I knew about this before i had my bypass done but was sure it wouldnt be a big deal. It has been a year and now im unable to lose the weight. Everyone is telling me that its the meds im on that are keeping me away from my goal!!!!

addict05
on 3/29/13 3:19 am - IL

I am also bi polar and struggle with this, when the meds are working it makes it harder because you feel good is what my psychiatrist told me.  I just tell myself it is head hunger and try like hell not to eat.  It isn't easy but it can be done.  I wish you the best of luck.  Some days are better than others for me.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404