Severe constipation

melissa22886
on 3/29/13 4:34 am, edited 3/29/13 4:35 am

Well I posted about a week ago about my lack of following directions in taking my vitamins. Now that I am back on schedule, because my iron was low I have been taking 60mg of vitalady's carbonyl iron at night before bed for the past week. Well I was in severe pain from constipation I left work. I am not really positive what to call it for that matter, I just couldn't "get it out" so to speak cause it was very hard and dry( I am no where near dehydrated). Anyway, left work had to use a dreaded suppository but all is fine after the excruciating pain I was in. SO, what does everyone recommend. I picked up at the drug store dulcolax stool softner for woman and i'm hoping thats the correct thing to buy. If so, do I take that before bed WITH my iron?  Here is my daily vitamin schedule ( I know I need to add calcium in one more time per day but so far I haven't figured out where I'm going to do that)

breakfast - multi, calcium, biotin, acidophilus, osteo biflex

lunch - calcium

dinner - calcium

bedtime(usually 11pm) - iron, birth control, and sometimes an extra biotin  

where should I take the dulcolax

also, before anyone says anything about missing my vitamin b12 in my daily vitamins, I get b12 injections every month at work instead.

rocky513
on 3/29/13 5:44 am - WI

Is dulcolax a stimulant laxative?  If it is...I don't think I would use it daily.  It could be habit forming and that would not be good.  I use Benefiber twice daily (morning and night).  It works for me.  I've seen others use Miralax.  It is not habit forming and can be used daily also.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

angeleigh
on 3/29/13 6:30 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I personally use the walmart brand of stool softeners, non stimulant kind.  I also add benefiber to my protein shake in the mornings. I take the stool softeners every night, Right now I am taking 2-3 at bedtime.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

bbearsmama
on 3/29/13 7:33 am
RNY on 02/28/13

I take a stool softener with my iron (at the same time). But that wasn't enough so I am also adding a capful of miralax per day to my crystal light. That really softens things up! I didn't do miralax for the past few days and I paid for it today! It really hurts when I don't use it!

Pam

"B" bears' mama from Texas
Follow my journey on youtube: "bbearsmama" 

SW: 210 CW: 123.6

LN040768
on 3/29/13 9:04 am - Fairless Hills, PA

OMG, i just had the same problem today. i ended up having to take milk of magnesia and an hour later i went. took 45 min of pushing and wasn't pleasant but i got it out. I too left work because of the constipation.

Pre Op weight  - 230 (heaviest weight)

Surgery weight - 217

Goal weight - 120

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/13 11:04 am
RNY on 05/01/13

I take 250 mg  twice a day with water. It's may also be covered by your insurance as colace. Additionally I take benefiber and miralax up to 4x a day. Check with your doctor of course, but this is my experience. 

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/13 11:05 am
RNY on 05/01/13

250 mg dulcolax :)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?