2 months post op and frustrated

lilisasmith3
on 3/29/13 2:33 am
RNY on 01/31/13

I made it to the 2 month mark yesterday. I feel like I am failing at RNY. Is it possible to fail and just not have the surgery really work? I have been at a stall for over 3 weeks and this sucks. Maybe this was a waste of my time and I am going to bootch this. I have lost about 30 pounds but not anyhing in the last several weeks. This sucks!!!!  I get in all my protein, vitamins, and fluids with totally no problem. I exercise but not reguarly, I have MS and I just cant always move much. I just feel like a total failure.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/29/13 2:48 am

Chin up. You are not failing and neither is your surgery. Stalls happen despite our best efforts. We want weight loss to be a steady downward slope, but it isn't. It is much more like a set of stairs: a drop, a flat spot, a drop, a flat spot, rinse and repeat.

I found that even when the scale wasn't moving I would be losing inches. Have you been taking your measurements? If not, start. And find some ways to measure success without the scale.  I like to look at all the things I can do and do comfortably that I couldn't at 300+ lbs: walk long distances, run up stairs, bend over and tie my shoes without getting red in the face, face down a buffet without worrying about everyone commenting on the fat lady (insert joke here).

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Mary Catherine
on 3/29/13 3:03 am

Average weight loss after surgery is 100 pounds in one year

Month 1 – 20 pounds

Months 2-6 – 10 pounds

Months 7-12 – 5 pounds

poet_kelly
on 3/29/13 3:38 am - OH

No, it's not really possible for the surgery to just not work.  Some people don't lose as much as they'd like, but you'd have to try really hard to avoid losing a lot.

Having a stall doesn't mean it's not working.  Stalls are normal.  So it means you're normal.  30 lbs in eight weeks is almost four lbs a week, which is a perfectly normal rate of weight loss.  I know, sometimes it sucks to be merely normal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sherrie P.
on 3/29/13 12:05 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I've only lost 28 pounds since surgery on 2/6.

I don't feel like a failure. 

Throw your scale away. It's not like you can go back.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Dawn_117
on 3/29/13 9:42 pm
RNY on 07/24/12

Don't get discouraged by what the scale says.  Your body needs time to catch up sometimes.  Even though the scale might not be moving you're still losing inches.  I haven't lost anything for 3 months but clothes are fitting differently and I'm still losing inches.  Hang in there and don't be discouraged.  As long as you're doing what you're supposed to be doing in will all work out.  You're scale is just numbers, don't worry about it!!  You'll see:)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 3 views
Recent Topics