Exercising and Vitamins

Michelle W.
on 3/29/13 11:08 pm
RNY on 03/13/13

I know that most of these questions could be answered by my doctor or surgeon but I haven't been able to get an appointment with my doctor and my surgeon's staff hasn't answered my phone calls. I'm located in Germany and the process is a bit different within the military. I'm 2.5 weeks post-op and I met with *a* doctor yesterday but not my primary doctor who is familiar with me and my procedure.

Anyways, I'm trying to determine when I can start increasing my exercise regimen. My stitches and staples came out on Tuesday. I've been feeling pretty good although I saw a decrease in energy levels when I started back to work this week. I've been walking on a regular basis but I'd like to know when I can start kicking it up a notch. Before surgery I enjoyed using the elliptical, Zumba classes, and some weight lifting. How soon after surgery can I ease back into these activities?

My second question is regarding vitamins. I'm taking my multi and calcium. No need for iron at this time. The doctor I met with yesterday refused to give me the B12 injections my surgeon and primary doc both suggested and instead prescribed me a B12 pill to swallow. Is this normal? Will my body be able to absorb the B12 appropriately that way post-op? I figure I might be overreacting but I was really nonplussed with the doctor I saw yesterday.

plum21
on 3/29/13 11:32 pm - Miami, FL

I take sublingual B12 - 500mg/day. Tastes good and my b12 levels have been great. Every body is different.

Karens62
on 3/29/13 11:52 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
My instructions are nothing but walking ( and no lifting) for 6 weeks. So, I just walk several miles a day.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

poet_kelly
on 3/30/13 2:39 am - OH

You will not be able to absorb B12 that you swallow due to the lack of intrinsic factor in your pouch.  You can use a sublingual that dissolves under your tongue, injections, or the prescription nasal spray.  If your surgeon and PCP both recommend b12 injections why didn't they prescribe them?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle W.
on 3/30/13 3:51 am
RNY on 03/13/13

As an American stationed in Germany my referral through insurance with the surgeon was for the surgery only and one follow-up visit. The surgeon has no ability to prescribe me meds. My primary care doctor is only able to prescribe me meds if I get an appointment with her. Unfortunately the first appointment I could get following surgery is April 22nd. I made an appointment with another doctor in the meantime because I needed to get started with my BC, colasce, labs, etc. It's a situation made complicated with military bureaucratics. I'm glad to have confirmation on the B12 though. I'll be calling my clinic and pharmacy to see what my options are.

ImDun
on 3/30/13 4:05 am
RNY on 02/26/13

I had to take in my Vitamins and supplements to show the doctor and had liquid sublingual B12 drops and was told they were fine.  

Are you saying these are or are not okay to use?

Deb

poet_kelly
on 3/30/13 9:19 am - OH

Yes, if they are subligual, that is fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics