Night eating

Weighting2Bskinny
on 4/6/13 7:25 am
Hey! Does anybody have any ideas on how to stop night eating? I have tried and tried. I have put notes everywhere and tell myself "I will not eat tonight." Then I do. It's like I forget or don't care at night. I completely don't think how bad it is for me. Anybody got ideas on how to stop this? Maybe I could limit myself to just eat pickles or something? I don't know?

GOD BLESS YOU            
exohexoh
on 4/6/13 7:38 am - West Chester, PA

drinking hot tea helps me. in the summer i'll eat grapes but they've been extra awful this winter (at least here in ny & in pa). 

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Strjen
on 4/6/13 7:52 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

I would just plan on having a snack at night. I do this. If I don't I will binge eat. This I've noticed about myself. So if you just plan a healthy snack at night that might help. I will have a Weigh****chers Jalapeno Cheese string with some apple slices or Cheese string with a cutie. Something like that. Hope that helps.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Mo Diggity
on 4/6/13 11:25 am - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I have the same problem. My biggest downfall most of my adult life (other than too many carbs) has been nighttime snacking. It has become such a bad habit/routine. I watch all of my tivoed shows and munch munch munch munch :(  I haven't had surgery yet so I asked the therapist & dietician, and they both suggested that since after surgery I'm supposed to have 1 fruit a day for snack... to eat that fruit at night. I know for me, it's just gonna be about having to adopt new habits... cuz rarely am I actually "hungry" when I want to stuff my face !! lol. I've also had people tell me to brush my teeth when I get a craving, cuz you know it's just gonna taste like crap after you brush ;)  Not sure if you've had surgery yet ? Ask your dietician what they think you should do ;) 

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

tgrlnh
on 4/6/13 1:31 pm
RNY on 06/05/12

I too have developed a huge problem with night eating. I noticed when I exercise at night I do it less but I threw out my back so for the last two weeks I've been on rest. Hot tea or bariatric pantry hot cocoa can be an appetite supressant

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

LaToya N.
on 4/6/13 9:25 pm - MD
RNY on 11/19/12

I too have this problem.  My NUT told me that I can have a snack at night as long as I'm not exceeding my calories.  I'll usually have a string cheese stick rolled in a slice of deli turkey meat.  I try to stick to protein only for my night snack.  It tastes good and fulfills the craving for food at night.  

mysguided_angel
on 4/7/13 5:50 am - Brampton, Canada

when you guys are referring to night time snacking, what time is that usually? when should we stop eating by...i ask my NUT and she said to stop eating an hour before bedtime and thats it

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/13 6:21 am - OH

Some people eat right before bed, but I generally eat my snack no later than 30 minutes before bed so that my body has a chance to digest it a bit before I go to bed (which slow everything down, of course).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/13 6:19 am - OH

I intentionally eat a small snack before bed (it helps keep me from waking up shaky in the morning).  You can do two things: either try to stop the snacking (distracting yourself with something that keeps your hands and brain busy will help a lot... You cannot eat if your hands are busy doing something else) OR you can accept the inclination to snack and try to make really good, healthy choices about WHAT to snack on (something filling, and with some protein, of course, and no "white carbs").  My evening snack is often just a glass of milk (which is probably not a good option for you since it will not address the urge to eat and you would likely have the milk AND something solid), or is cheese and some whole grain crackers, or Greek yogurt.

You have to decide what would be most beneficial for you in the long term.  IF you can turn it into an intentional, healthy snack that fits in your overall daily food plan, I personally think that is the best option.  You might also consider what is behind the urge to snack.  Is it just a bad habit, is it boredom, is it something emotional, etc.?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MyLady Heidi
on 4/7/13 12:57 pm

I accepted it is how my body wants to eat and worked it into my life.  I do not eat during the day during the week anyway while at work, I start my first meal as dinner, followed by two protein forward snacks at night.  On weekends I do eat two meals during the day and 1 snack at night.  I have been at goal for many years and it works if you stop trying to figure yourself.  Obviously you can't eat junk at night but if you have a protein forward food it should work for you also.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 132 views
Recent Topics