hair loss

Marie P.
on 4/6/13 2:34 am - Saginaw, MI

I had surgery in 2006.  I've always had my blood tests yearly, stay on top of everything.  Occasionally my protein has been a little low, but not much.

In December, over the course of six weeks, I lost 99% of my head hair, virtually bald.  I've been getting cortisone injections, and it's just starting to grow.  I'm told autoimmune disorder of some sort, but all tests have come back as normal.  The one thing that concerns me is thyroid.  I had partial thyroid removal 20 years ago, have been on medications ever since, but the dosage has never changed, even after RNY.  After doing my research, I found out I've been doing just about everything I could do wrong with the meds.  Not supposed to take thyroid meds within four hours of calcium or one hour of soy.  I've been taking the meds at the same time I take my calcium, along with a cup of coffee containing a scoop of soy.  But still, the thyroid test was normal in October.

Has anyone had any experience with hair loss like this after surgery?

selhard
on 4/6/13 6:53 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I am sorry...bald would be tough--did you have hair loss at the usual 3-6 months after surgery, too?  I started noticable hair loss a couple of weeks ago.  I am trying Nioxin brand shampoo/conditioner purchased at a JC Penney salon ($30) to help hair that's left.  I also ordered from Amazon.com a Jessica Simpson brand faux ponytail ($22) to wear if my hair loss gets worse.  Are you taking biotin?  There is 45 mcg biotin in the Centrum Silver Chewable vitamins I take, but apparently not enough to make a difference.  Best Wishes to you.

Marie P.
on 4/6/13 8:53 am - Saginaw, MI

Yes, I had the usual hair loss after surgery, was a little unnerving, but it did stop.  I've been taking biotin for about a year.  I started Nioxin after my hairdresser found the first two spots, but she told me it doesn't stop your hair from thinning, it just makes whatever you do have fuller.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/6/13 8:36 am - OH

I took my Synthroid FOR YEARS at the same time as my multivitamin which had calcium and never had any problem.  As long as your labs have been showing normal thyroid levels, the way you have been taking the meds is NOT the problem.  (It is not as if you don't absorb ANY of the medication, it is just BETTER to take it at other times.)

It does sound like an auto-immune disorder of some kind since you lost it all,, but Is there any chance it is related to perimenopause?  I lost half my hair after my RNY in 2007 and then about 2 years ago, my hair suddenly starting falling out again.  All labs (vitamins and thyroid) were normal, and I was definitely getting plenty of protein. I continued to lose it for about 6 months (I lost about a third of it) and then it stopped suddenly.  A few months later I started having hot flashes occasionally.

I sure hope they find the reason for the problem and that it grows back quickly.  I think this is a case, though, of the problem being completely unrelated to your RNY.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Marie P.
on 4/6/13 9:02 am - Saginaw, MI

I'm about 20 years post menopause, so that's not the problem.   

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 130 views
Recent Topics