constant low blood sugar?

jschultes
on 4/7/13 1:50 pm - ND
For about 3 days I've been having low blood sugars throughout the day. Usually every 2 to 3 hours sometimes less in between eating and I have to eat because my blood sugar just tanks dramatically. I have read about reactive hypoglycemia and I really don't think that's what it is because its been after I eat anything, not just carby stuff. I've even woke in the middle of the night low. I was diabetic before surgery. Do you think that has something to do with it? Has anyone else had this problem a year out?
H.A.L.A B.
on 4/7/13 10:26 pm
Please list what you eat.
I deal with RH for a while now. With proper diet i am able to control it. But have in mind that once my BS drops...... It may take me a day or 2 to stabilize that. I need to make sure my meals or snacks have fat. Fat helps to control my low BS. One 'bad' snack mash send me into hours or even days trying to 'chase' my low BS.
I.e. even 'good' carbs may cause my BS to drop.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/7/13 10:41 pm - OH

I cannot say how having been diabetic might play into things, but it is possible that it is RH or plain old hypoglycemia.  RH doesn't just cause problems after eating "carby" foods, but the drops in blood sugar can happen if you are not eating a good combination of protein, carbs, and fats.  Also, if you are eating very little, and depending on WHAT you are eating, it is possible that it could be regular hypoglycemia kicking in.

Perhaps if you post a couple of samples of what you ate (and how much) prior to some of these incidents, we can give you some feedback and suggestions.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cajungirl
on 4/7/13 11:13 pm

I concur with the other posters.  Please give us an idea of what you are eating and how much along with how often you eat.  What is your typical eating day like?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MultiMom
on 4/8/13 12:20 am - NH

I had RH so sensitive that 2 bites of toast with bacon and eggs would cause me to have a blood sugar drop. I am saying that because it doesn't take much for some people to have a blood sugar drop with RH. Having been diabetic, you must have a blood sugar meter. Test your blood sugar 30 minutes after you eat and then every 30 minutes until you eat again. That will help you to know what is going on. With RH your body makes too much insulin to "fight" the sugar put in to your system through the digestion of food. Tracking your readings and what you eat might be the key to figuring out what is going on.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

jschultes
on 4/8/13 2:13 am - ND
Here are a few examples. On Friday at work I ate a cauliflower twice baked potato recipe I made...no potatos. About a 1/2 cup. For a snack and lunch I ate a sandwich 1/2 each time that had mustard, mayo, swiss cheese and 4 ounces of lunch meat. I then had a salad for a snack with meat and poppyseed dressing. For supper I had a 2oz hamburger.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 275 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics