Need Vitamin Help!

MichelleNC
on 4/11/13 1:27 am

I am 4 weeks out this coming Monday. My surgeon had me start my chewable bariatric fusion orange flavored vitamins when I got home from surgery. He is having me start my Vit D maybe after my appt with him next week. He said not to worry about that right away lets get protein and fluids in. So those Bariatric Fusion vitamins are the nastiest things I have ever tasted. I crushed them put them in drinks, I chewed them nothing works. I swallow the drink taste the vitamin or chew it and end up wanting to vomit. It is so nasty.

So any recommendations for other vitamins and how you take them. I am going to talk to him too but he has a store he opened downstairs and I am sure he is going to suggest another flavor....I am sorry the orange is just a after thought it is the nasty vitamin that you taste mostly!

Thank you,

Michelle

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

Rean_Day
on 4/11/13 1:48 am
RNY on 04/03/13

I take the Bariatric Advantage Chewable Multi Vitamin in French Vanilla flavor. It doesn't suck. I have the orange ones too, but haven't tried them. So far, the vanilla is good. I take a swig of water after chewing it and it goes down fine. None of that "vitamin" bitterness afterward.

Good luck finding one that works for you.

Rean

Highest Weight: 344

Surgery Weight: 330

RNY surgery on April 3, 2013.  

KimKinVA
on 4/11/13 3:22 am
RNY on 11/13/12 with

I also take the Bariatric Advantage chewable French Vanilla multivitamin (two a day). That is the most tolerable flavor/brand that I've tried. I hated the Bariatric Fusion orange and the Unjury berry multi was gross with an awful aftertaste.

richarddavis196
on 4/11/13 2:21 am - VA

Right after my surgery, I took (and still do) the Walmart brand multi (Equate), calcium, D3, iron, and whatever Sublingual B12 is on sale. None are truly chewable, but I crushed them at first, then cut the into pieces and now swallow them all hole. Solved the taste issue for me.

Good luck!

april89love
on 4/11/13 2:34 am - NC

I was the same way early on. Ended up switching to Celebrate vitamins which are in capsule form. Solved the taste issue.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

poet_kelly
on 4/11/13 2:37 am - OH

With Bariatric Fusion, you need to take EIGHT a day, too, in order to get what the ASMBS recommends.  Yick.

Do you want a chewable vitamin?  If so, try chewable Centrum, Celebrate, or Bariatric Advantage.  You only need TWO of those a day instead of eight.

You also need 1500 to 2000 mg calcium citrate - each Bariatric Fusion tablet only has 300 mg calcium and some of that is calcium carbonate, which we can't absorb but may cause you to get kidney stones.  If you want chewable, Calcet creamy bites from Celebrate and the calcium chews from Bariatric Advantage are yummy.  I also like Upcal D, which is a powder that has no taste you can put in any drink.

You need iron, as well, and B12.  Even if you take the eight Bariatric Fusion a day, you need B12 because it has to be a sublingual, nasal spray or shots.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MichelleNC
on 4/11/13 3:39 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I believe I am going to have to gag on the chewables until I am comfortable enough to swallow pills. Hopefully that will be soon.

I really wish that our surgeons were giving us the correct info. He told me to take 4 a day....8 a day is just insane! I am sure he likes the product because he sells it but he should open up his shop to include options for people that want a wide variety.

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

poet_kelly
on 4/11/13 3:49 am - OH

He probably said four a day because the bottle says four a day.  but that only gives you half of what the ASMBS says you need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

GaJl
on 4/11/13 4:21 am

Hi there, first Congrats on your recent surgery!  It's a life changer for sure.  I had my surgery coming up on 3 years ago. I had big issues with taking vitamins right after surgery too. Could not stand the taste of any of the liquid or chewable kinds and pills were all way too huge to swallow even after cutting them down.  I finally found one that I could take though that is super small. As far as I know you can only find these online and I get mine at drugstore.com  The good thing is they are only about $9.99 per bottle.  Its One A Day Essential Multivitamin. Best of luck to you!

ncbrwneyedgurl
on 4/11/13 5:34 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13

Michelle,

My nutritionist said that we can take any chewable vitamin you just have to make sure that if it is not a bariatric vitamin to take a double dose. I started taking the Centrum multivitamin 2x a day so I wasn't having to take the bariatric fusion 4x a day!

My hubby likes the Bariatric Fusion berry flavored.

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 524 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics