Five signs I might be a pretty healthy person...

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/11/13 12:08 am - Baltimore, MD

Despite experiencing regain, I have been taking notice of the many ways I just seem to be a lot healthier than I used to be and especially how I am a lot healthier than those around me.

So, divorcing myself from the weight:health connection, here are some signs that my body is actually pretty darn healthy.

1.      I have absolutely NO trouble sleeping. I sleep like the dead. And I don’t generally awaken tired. Only when I am sick do I get really sluggish or tired and these days I take it as a sign that I need to rest – and I do! I have so many friends (non-ops) and others who don't take great care of themselves and ALL of them seem to have trouble sleeping. 

2.      But on the same token, I generally don’t get tired during my waking hours – This is a big one for me. In my new post-op days (read: big-time fat burning) I didn’t sleep much at all. I had an over-abundance of energy and it was frenetic. I always had to be moving. But now it’s just that I don’t tend to get tired when I’m awake. I feel sufficient energy throughout the day. When it’s time to go to bed usually I’m more sleepy than tired (and before a few years ago I didn’t know there was a difference between the two feelings!)

3.      I poo. Being here and dealing with many post-ops outside of here, I sometimes feel “survivor’s guilt” about this. So many folks have trouble with this and I just don’t. I did at first but now not so much. Add to that the fact that my surgeon said that humans at their healthiest generally poo not long after eating a good meal and I’m doubly blessed. If I have a high-protein meal, a good bathroom experience usually follows.

4.      I crave the right things. Don’t get me wrong I often crave (in my head) the WRONG things but so far as physical cravings, my body seems to know the healthy equivalent. Like these past few weeks I’ve been a baby spinach FIEND. Sometimes my body will crave other things (some days I don’t want veggies or dairy, just meat, for instance). But I rarely get deep, down physical cravings for junk. Those happen in my head and sometimes I give in and sometimes I don’t. It’s a process!

5.      Libido. Hello! Need I say more?

I saw my surgeon last week. He remarked how healthy my body seems. He was also a bit concerned about the bounce-back I’ve experienced (my low weight was 172, at this office visit I was 200), so he wants me to get an EGD to see if (gasp!) my stoma might have stretched? But he’s the sweetest person in the world because all along he’s saying “I can SEE that you are exercise so I don’t think it’s necessarily behavioral.”

I’ll keep you guys posted on that part. But I am very grateful for all the ways I am very healthy now where I wasn’t before!

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

MyLady Heidi
on 4/11/13 1:50 am

Congrats!  Enjoy all that good stuff while you are young, believe me I am going on 49 and age has caught up to me and most of the things you listed I had going on great and then bam menopause starts calling.  Don't want to ruin your fun, but it won't last forever so enjoy it while you can.

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/11/13 11:30 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Yes please keep us posted and I'll be praying for you that all is going to be ok!!! laugh

Lori                               

edwardtm
on 5/7/13 5:12 am - Dayton, OH

Hey...I am going on 55 and I am still losing.  It is almost 5 years for me.  I guess I never expereinced menopause or it passed me right over.  I too have had the experiences like you Nik.  I have not been working out as much as I should though.  My excuse it working a full time job and then having to come home and take care of the house and do yard work.  I am so tired I just fall asleep as soon as my butt hits the couch. 

I am not sure if what is happening is normal but it is such a relief when I poo, I am so proud of it I tell everyone and yes there are times when I do not even have to open my mouth...they know.  I may go 4 to 6 times a day depending on when and what I eat.  So it sounds as if I am normal as normal is for weight loss surgery.

I have learned to stop focusing on the weight loss now start thinking about toning.  I need some pointers on that.  I have to get motivated so I am writing things down and then once I get it all together I am going to start sculpturing my body.  I do not want to have any surgery but time will tell...actually my age will tell.

I need to get some of my levels up on my vitamins and minerals.  So I have been mostly focusing on that issue right now.  I think that is more important right now.  I don't feel any issues but my blood work tells me I need to do better.  I will stick with walking for my exercise and not driving down the street to my mother's house.  Besides my legs are feeling a whole lot better since I lost the weight and they are getting stronger.  I can almost go shopping without a riding cart.  I still need a wheelchair in the mall but I will soon be getting ride of that. 

Nik your articles have motivated me and I wish you continued success.  You sure look a lot healthier than when I saw you in Cincinnati.  Keep up the good work!

Remember Weight Loss Surgery is a Tool.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wILpnWT/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wILpnWT/blk-weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?