Types of protein and what is best absorbed

Sara O.
on 4/14/13 9:23 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I've been testing out different types of RTD protein shakes and protein bars from the Vitamin Shoppe and to be honest I never know if I'm buying what my body can absorb.

Below is a list of some of the types of protein listed on various labels. What are your thoughts/the facts?

PURE PROTEIN shake-- milk protein concentrate, calcium caseinate

OH YEAH! shake-- milk protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, whey protein concentrate

MUSCLE MILK shake--milk protein isolate and/or milk protein concentrate

EAS myoplex shake--soy protein isolate, whey protein concentrate

Tri-O-Plex cookies: soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate

Premier Protein bar: soy protein isolate, whey protein hydrolysate, whey protein concentrate

There are other products I bought recently with the same types of protein. Do we absorb these types of protein well or am I just wasting my money?

poet_kelly
on 4/14/13 9:34 am - OH

Those are all fine.  All but the soy is made from milk, it's just processed in different ways.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara O.
on 4/14/13 10:50 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

Thanks Kelly! I am relieved to know I didn't waste my money because VS products are expensive! lol

AnchorsAweigh
on 4/14/13 11:31 am

I'm still pre-op but when my doc tested my blood my protein was low. I've been drinking two Muscle Milks a day and now my protein is right where it should be. It has 20g of protein and tastes pretty good!

Sara O.
on 4/14/13 12:04 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I have one in my fridge and I'm excited to try it out for the first time! It's the new "cookies'n'creme" flavor. :)

selhard
on 4/14/13 12:55 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I was told by the weight loss center WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE (key word ISOLATE) is what we need.    I trust what I've been told and I trust the Unjury brand of whey protein isolate the most, so that's where I purchase product. ( I found the Unjury customer service department to be very friendly, if you care phone them to confirm what I just posted)   Good Luck.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics