Handfuls of hair

glad2balive
on 4/15/13 4:26 am

I am losing handfuls of hair every time I brush through my hair. What am I lacking? My last labs came back fine.

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

poet_kelly
on 4/15/13 4:30 am - OH

When was your surgery?  Hair loss is common from about three to six months post op and it's not due to lacking anything.  It's a side effect of having surgery under general anesthesia called telogen effluvium.

Nutritional deficiencies that can cause hair loss include iron, zinc, B12, and protein.  Were those levels all OK when you had labs?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jilly Bean
on 4/15/13 4:45 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

That happened to me in months 6-8.  FINALLY, at month 9 it is stopping.  I thought I was going to go bald because my hair was falling out by the fistful.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/15/13 5:13 am - OH

Maybe I am confusing you with someone else, but aren't you a couple of years out?  If not, ignore this and go back to what Kelly said. ;)  if so, how long ago were your labs?  Our vitamin levels can drop very quickly, so if they were more than 6 months ago, you might want to have some of them checked again.

The other thing (and I apologize if you are still young!) that can cause hair loss is peri-menopause or menopause.  That is what happened to me.  Suddenly started losing a lot of hair about 4.5 years after surgery,but all my lab work was great.  It lasted about 6 months, then (fortunately) stopped.  That was over a year ago and there are no signs of it coming back, sadly. :(

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

glad2balive
on 4/15/13 6:48 am, edited 4/15/13 10:12 pm

I am a few years out and have been dieting trying to lose some (meds.) weight. I am going for labs soon. Maybe I just need to keep my protein up until then as well as continuing my vitamins. THANKS! I am trying to take responsibility for my health.

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

poet_kelly
on 4/15/13 7:13 am - OH

Make sure they do a zinc level with your other labs.  Some docs don't do that one routinely, although the ASMBS now states that zinc deficiencies are very common in WLS patients.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cbsweet33
on 4/25/13 11:43 am

I lost a lot of hair back in the 4 month stage....protein is the key.  I take biotin for my hair and my nails everyday as well.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 319 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 280 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?