when does the hair falling out stop?

wilsont429
on 4/17/13 4:58 am - IN

Does anyone know when my hair will quit falling out? it's sooooo thin....I want to dye it, but I'm afraid it will fall out more....Anyone have this experience?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/17/13 5:13 am - OH

It varies from person to person, but losing hair for about 4 months is most common.  Dying it will not cause it to fall out more.  You can Google telogen effluvium to get a full explanation of what it is and why it happens, but processing the hair for coloring or perming won't make the hair loss worse.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wilsont429
on 4/17/13 5:55 am - IN

Thanks Lora,

I'm in desperate need of a haircut and color! I appreciate your input...made me feel better already :)

pianoford
on 4/17/13 5:25 am - AL

Hello my name is Vickie. I had weight loss surgery 9 months ago. I went through a phase that my hair fell out. I have a gallon bag full of my hair. After getting on the vitamins specific for my surgery and drinking the right protien drinks I have noticed my hair is growing back and more fuller than before.! I take the Celebrate vitamins, multiple and calcium plus. I drink at least 1 protein drink-Unjury a day if not more. I try to get in my protien 60grams daily. Good luck. Don't sweat the hair loss. Get a good hair cut. It doesn't have to be drastic. My hairdresser worked with me and found a shorter but bald haircut! I love the new look! He colors my hair too NO bleech!

pianoford
on 4/17/13 5:27 am - AL

Not bald but just short haircut! OOPS! Sorry!

wilsont429
on 4/17/13 5:57 am - IN

Thanks Vickie! I'm taking prenatal vitamins and trying to stomach the others.... my protein is coming from food and protein bars...so i'll keep at it! Thanks for filling me in! :)

Sara L.
on 4/17/13 5:26 am

From about 4 months post-op to roughly 8 months post-op my hair thinned considerably. I lost between 1/3 and 1/2 of my hair. It all grew back by the 1-year mark. And coloring your hair can make it look and feel thicker, because the color can "plump up" the hair shaft.

wilsont429
on 4/17/13 5:59 am - IN

Thank you Sara! I've already lost at least 1/3 of mine.....and it's still coming out :(, but I would do this surgery all over again if I had too. I'm getting that cut and dye! SOON!

Thanks again :)

AnniesSS
on 4/17/13 9:28 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I started to lose my hair around the 2nd month out and I'm 7 months out now and am back to losing just a little each day and my nails are growing again too :)

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Sara O.
on 4/17/13 12:28 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

For me it started at 2.5 months postop and ended around 6 months postop. Other than finding hair on my pillow and in the shower I couldn't really see a difference. Its different for everyone. Just hang in there. :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 427 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 353 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?