Eating too much too soon...OH NO not another one :(

kikidoll
on 4/24/13 3:11 am, edited 4/24/13 3:11 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

Sorry to be another one to post a topic that you guys probably see errrrrrrrrrry day.  But I have to ask because I feel like strange.

So...I have had a really great recovery so far.  My worst complaint was some severe nausea in the first two weeks or so but I had some zofran prescribed and now I'm great (and no longer taking any zofran on a regular basis).

Anyway, I feel like I can eat pretty well, which is surprising me.  My concern started when I saw someone that is pretty far out (I want to say like 8-12 months) on another board and she was only eating 2 oz of greek yogurt.

I can eat the whole 5.3 ounce container of dannon light and fit greek yogurt and I don't know why I wouldn't want to eat it all, its only 80 calories and 12 grams of protein.  It's been my breakfast or lunch pretty much since about 2 weeks out. I also have no trouble eating 2-3 ounces of moist chicken.  I'm measuring my food, always, so I am not really pushing my limits but I'm a little confused as to why some people only eat so little so far out?  I can understand if it was something high in fat or calories but greek yogurt, it's great for us, right?  I think part of why I can eat so much is because as they told us in the meetings, I do eat slowly, my food is always cold by the time I finish.  I've only experienced like "foamies" once I think, and I'm not even sure if it was really that, it was only like 10 minutes of unpleasantness.  Other than that no real food stuck or sickness scenarios have played themselves out.

So...I guess my questions are this:

Am I eating too much by eating the whole 5.3 ounce container of greek yogurt?

Should I be eating less protein right now, even though I can tolerate 2-3 oz at a meal?

IF I should be eating less, why? should I be using more shakes instead of solid protein? Right now I have a shake a day still in addition to the 3 small meals I eat (33g protein)

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

LilyBugsMommy
on 4/24/13 3:29 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

My surgery was on March 12/13 and I am doing pretty well with my eating. I don't use protein shakes at all because I can't stand them. Sometimes I have half of a protein bar if I can't get enough protein in for the day by eating.

I usually eat breakfast, lunch, supper and an evening snack. For breakfast I will have 3/4 cup of greek yogurt with flaxseed (helps to keep me regular!). I find I can't eat anything else in the morning or my stomach feels upset. But, once the day gets going, I can eat anything, as long as I eat slow and wait the required 30 minutes before and after to drink anything.

For lunch I will have 60g of tuna with 3 Breton crackers, or slice chicken or turkey meat, maybe cheese or eggs. I try to change it up :)

For supper I have meat and veggies, for a total of about 1 cup of food. I can eat 2-3 oz of meat at a time, depends on what else I am eating with it.

I think you are probably okay. I am definitely not the expert, lol, but I think as long as you are measuring your food and following your dieticians guidelines, you should be okay.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

kikidoll
on 4/24/13 3:34 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

Thanks for the input, its really good to know someone else that is close in surgery dates to me eating about the same way!  I know that we are supposed to stretch our pouches a little bit but it was quite concerning to me that some people eat so little further out, cause I dunno how they'd ever get in all the protein they need!! :)

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

RebYitzchak
on 4/24/13 3:30 am - FL
RNY on 04/17/13

On my post-op diet from day 3-14 and then even forward, my afternoon snack is supposed to be 5-6 oz of yogurt. It is a great source of protein, and I am sure it is not an issue that you are able to eat the whole thing.

RNY - 4/17/13     HW - 463  SW - 428  CW - 263

kikidoll
on 4/24/13 3:37 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

ooo :) good to know.  I know it is a 'slider' food so it goes down easy but I had just no idea why someone would only eat 2 ounces of it...2 ounces only has like 4 grams of protein. 

dahoodman
on 4/24/13 3:34 am, edited 4/24/13 10:33 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13
I am able to eat that much as well and comfortably. I have to get in 105g of protein each day and I told my doctor at 14 days out that I couldn't do it with 2 protein shakes and 6 tablespoons of puréed protein a day, I need more and I can eat more. He told me to increase a little at a time to make sure I was satisfied, not full. I would ask your doctor about it. I was getting hungry in between meals where my belly was growling like crazy. Now I am fine. I have stretched the amount a little a time or two and I know about it pretty quick. Even at the level of food I am at I have still averaged 1lb a day loss. I believe it is starting to slow now, but I think that's just my body adjusting and not the food. My protein is good quality lean meats and very few carbs.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

MrsLitch
on 4/24/13 3:40 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Yogurt is a slider food and you'll get in more of that then dense protein because it doesn't stay in the pouch. I don't eat slider foods so I have no idea what I could get in. early out I could only get in 2 oz of dense protein and now can do 4 oz. I can eat more meat sauce, like what we put on spaghetti, but it's more slider like with the sauce. I can get in 5-6 oz now, at 2 mo when I started eating it I could only do 2-3 oz but it was more than say steak at the time.

As long as you are sticking to or below your doctors plan you're fine.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 189 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 396 views
Recent Topics