May 7 surgery date and I seem depressed at times

Kristenselfs
on 4/26/13 12:10 am - PA

Sceduled for May 7, 6 months classes, ready I thin and then depression comes over me,  Sometimes I thnk I am grieving the loss of food, though my dr said, there will be nothing you can't eat in time.  have a lot of faith in my Dr.  So, whats with this.  Everything I eat, I say oh this will be the last, Tuesday, May 1st start my one week liquid diet. 

Know I am making the right choice, just so much negativity around me, maybe I tell to many people, hear all the stories, oh my friend 10 years out can't eat hardly anything, oh this one many gained their weight back.  Three best friends, say, oh I am  afraid of losing you.  Starts me to think I am not going to make it and die.  I just want support AND HAVE TOLD THEM SO.  Axious, already have an axiety condition.  How long is it before you do the things you did before surgery such as shopping, special things around the house like stenciling?  Axious, depressed at time, yet won't back out.  I need this for my health, I am 65 with a heart condition and two knee replacements which didn't take well, and went on diablity at 57 from them.  I weight 296, oh yeah gained 13lbs in the last 6 weeks, if I want to eat it I do, this is not good.  Were those of you who are post off like this? I am doing this because I am tired of being a couch potato because of my nees and hope the weight loss will help them, no they will never be perfet, but weight loss has got to help me.  I have 2 beutiful gandbabies and a young 65, also have one grandbaby on the way, I want to do more with them, my weight holds me back, I want to be as healthy as I can, it is a gift for me.  Too much negativity, why do people not think positive for you, thats mwhat  I need, this is a drastic operation for those of us who have decided, not an easy decision, and not an easy path to take.  Any ideas, help would be appreciated.

God's Blessings,

Alice

Carol_onmyway
on 4/26/13 12:24 am

I have not had my surgery yet but I have been more sure about this than anything. The way I look at it is, this is what I have to do for ME....not for anyone else but for ME...As far as dying, if it is a persons time to go they are going to go whether it be on an operating table, sitting at work, or walking down the street. We just have to be ready to go. I am lucky enough to have a great support system however I have had to listen to negativity as well sometimes its not easy but I just smile and go on and know that regardless of what everyone says I am doing this for me and not them. If you are confident in your decision then don't worry about what everyone else is saying....

dahoodman
on 4/26/13 12:32 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I had some of the same feelings and questions too. It took me about 2 weeks to really feel good enough that I wanted to go out to say Walmart or the mall. Even then I got a little tired walking around. I have hip issues and had surgery on one knee for a torn meniscus. Do you currently take any NSAIDs for pain? If you do, you do realize that with RNY that you will have to stop taking those. I was taking 1200-1600 mg of ibuprofen a day. I have since replaced that with Tramadol and that works pretty good.

The negativity won't stop but it will dwindle down some especially after your surgery. There will still be some that hang on to the thoughts of you regaining all your weight and the "monitors" watching everything you eat and asking you if that's something you are allowed to have. I didn't really have anyone trying to talk me out of it or telling me about complications, but the regain comments were abound. The best thing I can suggest is to realize that thousands of people have this surgery every year. ObesityHelp represents a good number of those at some point during their lives, but for the most part, a lot of people come and go quickly on here. So what you will see a lot of is out of the thousands that have it each year, a handful will post about all of their problems big and small. You never really get to hear ALL of the success stories and even some folks who had small problems add to the panic of others in the process of having surgery. What I found most helpful is to go to a post where someone is having a problem and find replies that look positive and informative. Then you want to go to those people's profiles and see if they tell their story. If they do, read their stories because usually they are positive stories and/or they tell you their hurdles and how they got through them. If you keep concentrating on the negative posts here you will scare yourself to death.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

imkim
on 4/26/13 2:56 am - Chatsworth, CA
Hang in there!! I will be four years out on 5/7. I think most everyone goes through a mourning period!! There isn't much that I can not eat. It just takes time. Remember the reason you are doing this!!

This includes my pre-surgery weight

Kristenselfs
on 4/26/13 9:00 am - PA
Thank you all, it helped. I'm not at all undecided been through that period, just the negativity, I think I am learning something, not ashamed of having GBS, just telling too many, probably looking for support, I am not going to do that anymore, hate telling people, hey this is a major surgery and drastic, shame on me if I go through all this and gain it back, it's all about my health. Thanks to your responses I feel better about the negativity.

Gods Blessings

Alice
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 572 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 365 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?