Repost: So, you think you are losing too slowly?

MultiMom
on 4/27/13 12:40 am - NH

I was a 'relative' lightweight going into surgery at 205 (40 pounds lost pre-op). At my 3 week checkup I had lost 9 pounds. Geeezzzz!! I lost more than 3 pounds a week many weeks BEFORE I had surgery. At this appointment my surgeon told me to expect a 2-3 pound a week average weight loss. I almost cried . "I had surgery for THIS???"

Well, he was right.....and I reached my original goal of 140 in 5 months. If you go to my profile and click on my "Health Tracker" and then the tab that says "Body" there is a graph. I was pretty good about entering my weights. If you want to see actual dates and weights on those dates look at the upper right of the graph. You will see 08/11/2008 (the date I started this process) to 11/11/2009 (the last entry that I made), just above that click on the little box. That will show you every entry that I made.

In the first few weeks after surgery, you also have to lose all the pounds gained during surgery. They pump you full of fluids! I came home from the hospital weighing 11 pounds more than when I went in. I have always weighed myself every day, fat or not. I still do today and every day since surgery. I was OK with not losing every day or even every week because I knew that it was normal. Not that I liked not losing......but it didn't make me crazy. If you are going to freak out then don't weigh yourself every day!

As a final though try to remember that this is a process, not a race. If you follow your plan then you WILL lose. I know that it is hard, especially right after surgery to remember this, but try. Many will lose much more per week on average if you start with a higher BMI or didn't have a large weight loss before surgery and others won't. Just remember, if you can, that it will happen.....HONEST!

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

TXKashmir
on 4/27/13 1:36 am - Grand Prairie, TX

Thank you for this post, Martha - I think you may have just saved some folks from some unnecessary frustration!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

olybear2
on 4/27/13 2:08 am

Thanks for sharing.   Glad to get this info.

thynnlynn
on 4/27/13 2:20 am - MI

Martha - Thank you for sharing.  I am also a "lightweight" and expected to lose slower than many that weighed a lot more but was getting discouraged when I would look at other tickers.  I realized that many had put their original starting weight (before any pre-surgery loss) or their post-surgery weight (I gained at least 15 pounds in the hospital.  When they asked me to get on the scale one last time, I told them NO).  I entered mine as the weight I was the morning I left for the hospital, so now I do not feel bad at all.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

MultiMom
on 4/27/13 9:27 pm - NH

You have NOTHING to feel bad about!! 25 pounds since surgery is WONDERFUL!!! I'm so happy for you after all the bumps in the road getting to have your surgery.

Martha enlightened

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

Findingme2013
on 4/27/13 2:48 am
RNY on 02/04/13

Great post and a great reminder!! 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/27/13 3:37 am

This is a message that always bears repeating.enlightened

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

PhillyGal135
on 4/27/13 6:04 am - Phila, PA
RNY on 01/07/13

I was concerned that my weight loss was slow too.  I asked my doc at my 3 month check up.   He said remember we are going for HEALTHY weight loss here.  That made me feel better.  Then he checked my 6 month goal and said I was right on track.  WOOHOO     This is a lifelong commitment not a quickie. 

Arlene

MultiMom
on 4/27/13 9:23 pm - NH
On April 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM Pacific Time, PhillyGal135 wrote:

I was concerned that my weight loss was slow too.  I asked my doc at my 3 month check up.   He said remember we are going for HEALTHY weight loss here.  That made me feel better.  Then he checked my 6 month goal and said I was right on track.  WOOHOO     This is a lifelong commitment not a quickie. 

This is a lifelong commitment not a quickie.    Those are words to live by!!

Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4

alaskasusan
on 4/27/13 6:25 am - AK
RNY on 02/11/13

I'd be completely THRILLED to see 2-3 lb loss per week.  I lost a total of almost 30 lb the first couple months, and very happy about that.  But have lost zero since the end of March.  Not. One. Pound.  And not quite 3 months out yet.

Food intake is about the same, I'm getting almost all my water in finally-that had been a struggle.  I walk an 30 m to 60 m daily plus have 3 weight workouts at the gym per week.  I'm just getting to where moving is easier and increasing my workouts every week, hope to be running part of the walk time soon.  But a one-month stall for the whole 3rd month was not what I expected, so it's hard to stay cheery about it

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 423 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 241 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?