How likely is it that I will be able to ....

renau2e
on 4/29/13 12:18 am - Canada
RNY on 05/07/13

... Attend my daughter's Dance Recital that's 4 days after my surgery.   indecision   I have surgery booked for next Tuesday and her recital is on Saturday morning.      I know to expect a lot of pain so right now I pretty much figure I'll have to stay home .... but I bought a ticket just in case I'm feeling up to it.

Anyone out there that thinks I could pull it off??   My 5 year old would love for me to be there (as would I, of course)  

Referral sent-  Feb. 4, 2013   Referral received-  Feb. 14, 2013  Orientation- (HRRH)- Mar. 7, 2013   Sleep study-  Mar. 9, 2013   Meet Surgeon (Dr. Klein)-  March 21, 2013   SW/RD/RN- Mar. 26, 2013  Dr. Glazer-  Apr. 3, 2013 Surgeon Appt. (book surgery and pick up Opti)- Apr. 16, 2013  Start Opti- Apr. 17, 2013 PATTApr. 25, 2013   Surgery!!! May 7, 2013

Highest Weight- 345 lbs   Post-Opti/Surgery Weight ????    Goal Weight- 165 lbs

Kim S.
on 4/29/13 12:25 am - Helena, AL

I definitely could've done it.  But, I'm a freak of nature and a super healer.  It is good to be prepared, but don't pu****if you feel you can do it, then go.

oxfordcat
on 4/29/13 12:26 am - NJ

i thnk it is really up to how well you recover.  I was out of the hospital on day 2 and felt relatively functional soon after.  Tired.  Take your pain meds.  But it is good to go out for a bit if you are up to it.  Play it by ear.  Don't do more than you can.  I am sure if your daughter is like mine, there will be many years of recitals.

GOod Luck.  Best wishes.

"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Gizzys
on 4/29/13 12:27 am - Canada

It really depends.  You may be one of the nauseous ones.  I know for me, I would not have been ready.  I wasn't nauseous but I was pretty weak, and I didn't really walk straight that quickly out of surgery.  But maybe you can do it being that you will mostly be sitting.  It really depends how you feel.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Soapy
on 4/29/13 12:27 am

I had surgery on Tuesday April 2 and took my last pain pill on April 4 and pain wise did fine.  

AnchorsAweigh
on 4/29/13 12:36 am

The only pain meds I took were in the hospital. Pain was minimal. I did have to hold my stomach and walk a bit hunched over and I was super tired, but maybe if you sit in the back so you can leave as soon as needed you'll be okay.

RebelK
on 4/29/13 4:42 am - TX
RNY on 01/15/13
On April 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM Pacific Time, AnchorsAweigh wrote:

The only pain meds I took were in the hospital. Pain was minimal. I did have to hold my stomach and walk a bit hunched over and I was super tired, but maybe if you sit in the back so you can leave as soon as needed you'll be okay.

Same here. I drove after three days and felt great although a little weaker. I didn't want to wear anything at my waist either. Throw on your best mu-mu and head to the recital if you feel up to it!

Kathy

MyLady Heidi
on 4/29/13 12:54 am

I got out of the hospital after open rny on a Friday and on Sunday drove myself to the mall to pick up a necklace I had ordered made from my mothers diamonds as a gift for saving my own life.  I would of went Saturday except I went (was driven) and bought a tree to plant to commemorate my surgery.  I will be fine, if you aren't fake it and go.

Neen L.
on 4/29/13 1:02 am - Arlington, VA

I went to wait at the finish line for my mom, who was walking a charity 5k, a few days after surgery. I was certainly tired, but it felt nice to be outside. Even funnier was when the runners started crossing the finish line and who ran right up to me but my surgeon! He was very happy to see me out and about.

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Karen R.
on 4/29/13 1:25 am
RNY on 04/14/13

In my situation, I could definitely have done it.  I'm only two weeks out, so that memory is vivid.  I left the hospital two days after my surgery and was walking my dog two days after that.  So I would think, as long as you don't have any complications, you shouldn't have a problem.

Best of luck to you!

5'4" | Pre Surgery BMI:  40.7 | Current BMI:  20.8 | SW:  237 |  CW:  121 |  GW:  125

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views