Hair loss with every new surgery?

KatMom
on 5/4/13 6:43 am
RNY on 07/24/12
I had RNY 9 months ago. I started losing my hair at 4 mths out, clipped my hair down to about 1/4 of an inch all over my head and just wore wigs. I loved the versatility of them and I knew my hair would eventually start to grow.

I just had a revision to my hip replacement last Monday and had a spinal for it. Will I start to lose my hair all over again? My hair is about 3 inches long all over now. Do we lose hair every single time we have a surgery no matter what it is or what kind of anesthesia used?

Curious of anyone else's history.
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

Tracy91002
on 5/4/13 7:00 am
RNY on 01/17/13

Wish I knew.  Do you mind me asking where you get your wigs?  I had surgery in Jan, and my hair is coming out fast and fear I may need a wig soon.  Good luck to you.

KatMom
on 5/4/13 10:56 am
RNY on 07/24/12
I ordered mostly from voguewigs.com roughly paying 60.00 per wig. I have about 10 of them. I was amazed at how real they look. I do totally enjoy the lack of bothering I must do to my own super short hair now and have gotten many compliments on it.
I never plan on hair longer than chin length again. I'm just shy of turning 50.
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

poet_kelly
on 5/4/13 7:27 am - OH

Usually not from spinal anesthesia.  However, it's a common side effect of general anesthesia.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

AmberF
on 5/4/13 7:48 am - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12

When I got my Lap Band placed I had no hair loss at all. When I got the band removed I had no hair loss at all. 3 months after my gastric bypass my hair has been falling out like crazy ever since and Im at about 4 and a half months out now.

AR_Queen
on 5/4/13 8:47 am
RNY on 05/29/13

I have had several different surgeries, with general anesthesia, and I have never lost any hair

exohexoh
on 5/4/13 9:08 am - West Chester, PA

i didn't when i had my wisdom teeth out (general), but lost a good amount with my rny. hopefully i won't lose any with my TT next month.

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/4/13 9:18 am, edited 5/4/13 9:19 am - OH

I had open RNY and lost half of my hair.  The following year, I had an open hernia repair, and the following year, I had several plastic surgeries.  The only time I lost any hair was after the RNY.  I then lost a bunch suddenly about a year after my last surgery, with labs that all looked good, but wine I started having hot flashes after about 8 months of the hair loss, my doctor is chalking the hair loss up to menopause.

At any rate, I did not lose hair after any of the subsequent surgeries.  It may, however, account for why it took so damn long for my hair to grow back in.  I also had several surgeries in the 10 years before my RNY. No all were general anesthesia and lost no hair with any of those.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/13 10:36 am
RNY on 06/24/13
My surgery is scheduled for June 24th and this has me pretty scared! I already have baby fine, thin hair, I'm think of starting a vitamin regimen now, to hopefully prevent or slow any hair loss :/
JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/4/13 10:44 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12

cheapest place for wigs is namebrandwigs.com , have bought from voguewigs and wigs.com, I have about 12 now.

Am looking for one to wear to the hospital when I have my knee replacement short/short.

I use coconut oil on my scalp at night and I have had no hair fall out from hysterectomy, tummy tuck ,band or RNY or hip replacement.

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?