What causes kidney stones in WLS/other people?

glad2balive
on 5/10/13 11:40 pm

What causes kidney stones? Is it calcium, caffeine, coffee, tea, etc. I have read many different things. Does anyone here know? Can you prevent them after getting once? I have read that once you get them you are prone to get them again. I pray this is not true. I have this nagging, sometimes intense, pain in my back and some blood in my urine like before when I had them.

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/13 1:45 am - WA
RNY on 08/21/12

I've had 2 stones since WLS and had to have surgery on 1 of them. My urologist stated that it came down to the fact that we just don't process and absorb things the way that we used to. I've been on flo-max for the past few months and am hoping that it helped flush all of the the 2nd stone out. He said that drinking plenty of plain water and also lemonade will help. Something about the acid in the lemonade helps to dissolve or keep the stone from forming. I sure hope so!

poet_kelly
on 5/11/13 3:23 am - OH

Different things can cause them.  Calcium carbonate sometimes does, but not calcium citrate (which is the type of calcium we should be taking).  Not drinking enough water can sometimes cause them.   It is possible to get them more than once, yes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/11/13 3:38 am - OH

I am now on round 3 of kidney stones since my RNY almost 6 years ago.  I never had them in the 45 years before my RNY, though.  I do not drink coffee, but occasionally drink diet cola.  I take only calcium citrate, but my multi has calcium carbonate.  I recently ordered different vitamins that have no calcium.  I drink about the same amount that I did before my RNY, but it isn't quite the recommended 64 ounces.

The only thing I have heard is as far as a cause is not drinking enough water (but why I would need more water post-op I have no idea).  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SarahLee1969
on 5/11/13 6:34 am - NY
What the other posters said.
And if you have a stone they can text it to see what it is made of. Sometimes calcium, sometimes oxylate. When you know what they are made of you can modify diet and vitamins if needed to help prevent more. Staying adequately hydrated is one of the best prevention measures. Plain water or other fluids that do not contain caffeine as it can be mildly dehydrating.
MrsLitch
on 5/11/13 1:55 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I was hospitalized for them when I was 14. Dr blamed it on too much pop not enough water. I've never had them again, however over the years I have had numerous kidney infections. I haven't had issues in 13 years because I learned my bodys early warning signs and dropped to one pop a day and guzzled water immediately. Hopefully now that I only drink water it'll keep them at bay.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 563 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 341 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 369 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 12 views
Recent Topics