What's the difference between Pepcid and Pepcid AC??

kikidoll
on 5/15/13 8:10 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

Hi All.  So my surgeon has me on pepcid (generic name famotidine 20mg) 2x a day for atleast 3 months after surgery, but she said you're better if you keep taking it up to a year.  I just had my insurance run out so today I went to go get a new prescription and I was going to pay cash, I ask how much it was and it was around $15, for only a 15 day supply.  So I go in the store and look at the other stuff they have and I looked at Pepcid AC, Maximum Strength is the same stuff, famotidine 20 mg.  Is there a difference between these?  I'm thinking the only difference is that one is pharmacy and one is OTC, but I don't want to get the wrong stuff. I bought the generic store version which was only $25 for 100 pills so hopefully it's okay but I don't want to crack it open until I'm pretty sure, lol

I plan on calling my doctors office tomorrow but they are closed at this point in the day.  Any advice would be great.  Thanks!

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

KrisW47
on 5/15/13 8:54 am

You are exactly right-one is prescription and one is over the counter but they are the same thing.  Sometimes the over the counter is in a smaller milligram so just be sure you take whatever mg amount your doctor advised.  And generic store version is just fine :)

kikidoll
on 5/15/13 9:11 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

cool that's good to know! thanks!!! :)

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

AnnieD9999
on 5/15/13 11:26 am - Columbus, OH

I have to take Pepcid AC for 3 months too. I just get the Pepcid AC OTC, I was never even told to get a prescription.

JaneJetson60
on 5/15/13 11:17 pm
RNY on 05/07/12

Generally all are the same.  Alot of people including myself, the prescription for Prilosec is cheaper than OTC but yes, same ingredients, same dose.  Heck of alot cheaper huh?  Good for you for being a wise consumer shopper!     Jane

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics