Too much extra skin

Allen Y.
on 5/13/13 8:07 pm - Garland, TX

Well I am a little over a year out, down a little over 200 lbs and I have extra skin all over the place. Thing is when I ride my bike outside I think I am getting eat up with misquotes. Something is going on because lately all this extra skin is driving me nuts. I feel like it's on fire to a extent. I have the tinyest little lesions ( sores) here and there but nothing seems to make them stop hurting. It's not severe pain at all. It's like having something in your clothing that is chafing against you. Thing is it's all over. Coacoa Butter does not help. Any ideas ?

Mary Catherine
on 5/13/13 8:46 pm

Exfoliation.  Everyday your skin sheds dead cells.  They are dry flakes that we never notice.  With all the weight loss there are a lot more dead skin cells and the body does not keep up with shedding them.  You essentially have layers of flour like substance on your body.  When you add a lubrication, like the cocoa butter, then you bind those dead cells together in a substance like pie dough.

This is itchy, irritating, causes burning and sores and needs to come off.  Stop any creams or moisturizers.  Start using a loofah, bathbrush, and washing with an exfoliating soap or body wash. One ingredient in expensive body scrubs is sugar.   You can simply add a handful of table sugar to any body wash or you can buy formulas with sugar or salt bases.  Bathing with regular soap and water will not even make a dent in that built up skin. 

Don't use any lotions and give yourself head to toe treatments with exfoliates every few days.  A week from now you will be amazed at how much softer, smoother and more comfortable your skin will be.

Sherry T.
on 5/13/13 9:01 pm - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

In trying to not get too graphic but I used Gold Bond Medicated Powder....my situation was in my lower stomach and how it hung and had to keep it dry and keep the skin separated to put the power on it for it to heal.  It finally got better after a few days.  I'm not discounting the exfoliating...because I don't know...but thought I'd offer my suggestion.

Hope that helps,

Sherry

MultiMom
on 5/13/13 9:36 pm - NH

It depends.....are you talking about the skin that is covered by skin when it hangs? That would probably be a yeast infection that will form when you 'sweat' and the skin can't dry and stays moist. I used to treat mine with Gold Bond powder and that took care of it. For others, some need a anti-fungal medication that your Dr would prescribe. If that is the case, keep track of the treatments if you would like your insurance company to pay for a panniculectomy (maybe, every company is different).

Congrats!! 200 pounds is AWESOME!!

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

katzmeow13
on 5/13/13 9:57 pm

document all of this with your doctor... he can check for infections... you are building a case for isurance to cover the excess skin removal.

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

MrsLitch
on 5/13/13 10:46 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
What katz said, but in the mean time my dermatologist said to use diaper rash creme.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Blondie76
on 5/13/13 11:06 pm - AL
I'm all for dry brushing as the other poster suggested. I'd also suggest coconut oil. It has anti-bacterial and fungal properties and is wonderful for your skin. It's awesome to melt down (liquid at 76 degrees) and add sugar to for a scrub. Stand in the shower, scrub, then wash off. Also, when you get out of the shower you can use coconut oil to moisturize. Doesn't take much or you'll be greasy!
Linda K.
on 5/14/13 1:47 am
RNY on 08/01/12

I agree with the coconut oil, was having really bad yeast infections, requiring both oral and topical meds.  Started using coconut oil post shower and it stopped, my skin feels great.  Of course, I'm not even close to your weight loss.

lyn

lyn

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics