Sometimes I feel like a hypochondriac.

emilyschmimily
on 5/16/13 4:04 am - Oklahoma City, OK

I had RNY 2 1/2 years ago and I feel like I've had more issues since surgery than my other friends who have had it done. Sometimes I wonder if the problems are just all in my head, or if I'm considered fairly normal for going to the doctor when I think something doesn't feel quite right.

I had three scopes done to stretch my stoma. I had to have emergency surgery last year for a bowel obstruction caused by scar tissue from the surgery. I scheduled  another appt with the surgeon on Monday because of some bad cramping and burning in my upper abdomen over the last few weeks. I have been putting it off for quite awhile but the last few weeks it has just been getting more painful and uncomfortable, and I'm trying to figure out what is going on before I wind up in the ER like I did with the bowel obstruction.

Does anyone else ever feel this way? Like "Good Lord, my surgeon must be really tired of seeing me and putting up with me and all my complications.."

I have the feeling I may have an ulcer. Not 100% sure though, so hopefully I'll get some answers on monday.

I know I'm not the golden child when it comes to following the rules set down after gastric bypass, but I have been trying to change the bad habits slowly and steadily and get back on the right path. Hopefully its easily treatable and there's no major surgery in my future!

kisersassy
on 5/16/13 4:56 am - Stanaford, WV
RNY on 10/29/12
Girlllll,I feel your pain!! I feel the same way and I am only 6 1/2 months post op. I had surgery 10/29/12 then 3-4 weeks later had a stricture then 12/25/12 went in the hospital again with another stricture and the day after gallbladder removal. And then two weeks ago today had a total hysterectomy due to in January a CT scan for another hospital visit with pain and nausea from gastric bypass and showed cyst on my ovaries. And I still have weird stuff going on and will wait till it gets worst before I call or go back
poet_kelly
on 5/16/13 5:52 am - OH

A hypochondriac is someone that thinks something is wrong all the time when there isn't really.  If you had to have your stoma stretched, something was really wrong.  If you had a bowel obstruction and needed surgery, something was really wrong.  Those things aren't in your head. 

If your surgeon is tired of dealing with your complications, he's in the wrong line of work.  That's his job.

And there are no rules you can follow that will prevent a stricture or a bowel obstruction caused by scar tissue.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 5/16/13 7:22 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
I feel some health professionals can make us feel that way. A week after surgery I was still in a lot of pain called the dr he ordered a ct scan, just before leaving for the er I felt a pop but went anyway although the pain deminished it was a seroma which popped but he made me feel I was making a big deal but I know the pain I was having. Then in nov. A hernia popped out at an incision site from a previous surgery. He would have just left it alone but I had met my out of pocket for the year so insisted he fix it.
Then at my 9 mo. visit I was having pain he ordered a ct scan and ultrasound pretty much said there was nothing there to cause the pain I went to a gi doc got scoped and nothing there. Meanwhile I had a gall bladder attack and he went in to take it out. I asked since he was in there if he could look at the left side, asked if adhesions could cause it he assured me, no couldn't be. When I woke up from surgery I had 6 incisions instead of 3 I was told. Turns out I had adhesions with fat attached, attaching things together. He cleaned it out and I'm pain free.
We know our bodies better than a doc that sees it a couple times a year. If you feel something is wrong advocate for yourself!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/16/13 8:07 am

I am 5 years post op and in the last 5 years I have seen more docs than ever in my life.   

Some of those issues I had may be due to RNY  and losing weight (GB removal, hernia, etc) but some may bhave been there long term.  Just now - since I am not fat - the docs would listen and don't blame my issues on my weight (but some try to blame them on my RNY). 

Some people have no issues or minimal issue s- some have complications. 

Ulcers - I when I think I have an ulcer (or irritation ) I no longer see my doc for that - i start treating that right away... I have script for ulcer meds and I adjust my diet and usually all gets resolved in 2-3 months... (in 1 week most symptoms go away -as long as I follow easy diet... but like with any possible "wound" - the healing takes time). 

I deal with abdominal pain for last  year - but it only hurt when I eat "solid" - dense foods. So far I can drink proteins shakes, and get some liquid - or creamy soups. Also PB goes in just fine... but any meat, veggies, even thick yogurt - is no-no, unless I am willing to deal with pain.

Hope you find answers.  I and still looking for that,. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 249 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?