Question about food aversions...hormones? Vitamins? IDK...

ChristinaS9476
on 5/16/13 7:08 am - Alvaton, KY
RNY on 11/15/12

I have kind of an interesting question about food aversions...for those of you that have encountered food aversions, did you ever have a food aversion that just appeared out of nowhere months after surgery?

The reason I ask is because I am six months post-op and just lately I have had a strong aversion to processed cheese (the kind in the wrapper).  I don't eat it often, but up until last week I had no problems with it and it tasted fine.  Now it has this strange chemical/metal taste.  I can eat non-processed cheese - shredded or blocks, it's just the processed kind that gives me this reaction.

I have Googled the heck out of this problem and have found nothing...the only things I can think of are...

Hormones?  I'm not sure if its possibly hormonal...my body has been extra wacky this month and there was a small chance that I could have been pregnant (honestly that's what I thought it was until AF came a callin' yesterday afternoon) - and I have taken like 4 pregnancy tests over the last week (before AF) and they were all negative, so that's not likely, but maybe just PMS?  

Vitamins?  I have been implementing different brands of vitamins into my diet as of late because I was taking the wrong ones or ones that weren't working for me, so maybe the new ones have a side effect of making some foods taste weird...but processed cheese is the only food I have had this issue with that I know of.

Surgery?  Even though it's been six months, can food aversions just show up this late in the game?

Your imput would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Follow my weight loss journey! 
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristinaS9476?feature=guide    

poet_kelly
on 5/16/13 7:36 am - OH

Maybe your taste is just improving?  Processed cheese in a wrapper doesn't taste very good to me either, never has.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dee.spunk
on 5/16/13 9:44 am - Sacramento, CA
I can't eat processed cheese either. I actually get sick, kinda like dumping. It's probably just a lactose thing. But it also doesn't taste that great to me either.

Hormones... Well, mine still get whacky every once on awhile. Everytime I drop a few pounds it would get really bad. Estrogen is stored in fat, so when losing weight, your hormones may act up.

Vitamins... Yeah, idk on that one.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

lynnc99
on 5/16/13 9:56 am

Food aversion was one thing that the psychologist discussed with me during my psych eval. He pointed out that if any food makes us sick (throwing up sick), we are likely to develop an aversion. The risk, as he explained it, comes when and if we get sick after eating protein or other essential dietary elements. We can end up setting up yet another type of unhealthy eating pattern. 

But from my own experience, I find myself with aversions that come and go. I'm very sensitive to smells - and can't stand certain food smells. Excessive salt is an aversion for me; this includes some processed cheeses and even cheese sticks, which others swear by for protein snacks. 

So to answer your question, I think they can indeed "just show up" - sometimes it's our body telling us that we just don't need that particular food. It can be a temporary thing - I've had periodic aversions (or attractions) to broccoli, scrambled eggs, shellfish, various protein shakes, skim milk....well, I guess you get the idea! 

JaneJetson60
on 5/16/13 10:16 am
RNY on 05/07/12

Yes, at about 5 months I had an aversion to chicken because it's one of the first meats they wanted me to eat per my surgeon's protocol.  Well, it got stuck one day due to me not chewing well enough in the beginning and it was not until recently have I been able to enjoy chicken again and I am a year out.  Same with eggs.  Shudder...........indecisionthose evil little creatures that live in my fridge is how I see them now!  I can do a little bit of an omelet as long as it has veggies and cheese, but don't put a plain egg in front of me.  As you can see, lynnc99 had surgery years ago and still finds things changing from time to time.  I was so sensitive to all smells in the beginning, and that passed and then about 2 months ago all of a sudden holy guacamole, meat cooking on the stove or BBQ started to gag me.  Go figure.  Good luck, don't panic.  WLS sure does some weird things that is all I can say.  Janekiss

ChristinaS9476
on 5/17/13 2:56 am - Alvaton, KY
RNY on 11/15/12

Okay, thanks for all the replies!  It sounds like I don't need to worry about it.  It's weird...I guess it's not a true "aversion" because I still want to eat it, but maybe it's just an extra sensitivity to the chemicals they put in processed cheese.  I feel like that might be it because I have no problem with non-processed cheese - I haven't tried the string cheese I have in the fridge lately - maybe I will see what that does to me.  I don't really get sick (I have amazingly never dumped - *knock on wood*), it just tastes bad and I spit it out...and it's not just sliced American cheese - I tried sliced swiss yesterday and the same thing happened.  Oh well, I guess y'all are right - my taste buds are just getting better at telling me what I shouldn't be eating!

Thanks so much you guys!

Follow my weight loss journey! 
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChristinaS9476?feature=guide    

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views