Job interview next week! Need advice!

Sara O.
on 5/17/13 9:19 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I have a job interview at a restaurant next week for a hostess job! I'm excited and its a great place. My family goes there all the time and some of the employees who I know personally already know about my rny. What I need advice about is what I should say about needing to eat and drink while working. I've had a hosting job before preop and its hard to get away from the door to even get a sip of water. A host must always man the door and don't usually get any kind of break. Is it absurd of me to ask for a small accommodation if I get the job? I'm 14 months postop and get hungry and need to stay hydrated as well. Its technically medically necessary right? Can they say I can't have a water bottle in the kitchen or under the host stand? Are they required to accommodate my medical needs? I don't think it'll be much of an issue since they already like me there, but I still want to hear what y'all have to say on the matter.

Thanks in advance for your input.

~Sara

BezoarGirl
on 5/17/13 9:43 am - WA

Don't you get 15 min. breaks every 4 hours?  Does the current hostess have water or something under her stand?  When we eat out I always see the hostess having something to drink at there stand.  You should also have a 30 min. meal break for every 6 hours you work too.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

Sara O.
on 5/17/13 10:32 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

At the restaurant I worked at during high school I only got a break if I worked a double shift(which was only once or twice). The only people who ever took breaks were the managers and anyone who smoked. I don't smoke so I didn't get those breaks. I only worked 5-hour shifts at the time because of the underage thing and school hours. If I ever sat down I was told to stand back up. I was on my feet for 5 hours after being at school for 8. I have worked as a babysitter ever since so I don't know how the whole break thing works. I assume my hours will be much longer now that I am not restricted by school. My courses are online.

poet_kelly
on 5/17/13 10:47 am - OH

They do not legally have to give adult employees any breaks at all.  Most place do give break times, but it's not required by law.

They do legally have to make "reasonable accommodations" if you are disabled, but I don't think having had WLS would be considered a disability.  Nonetheless, I assume most employers would be willing to allow someone to have water, especially if it's medically necessary.

I personally probably wouldn't ask about it unless they offered me the job, and then I would say something like, "Wow, it sounds great!  I'm excited and I'd love to accept.  I just have a couple questions.  I'm wondering if it would be possible to keep a bottle of water under the host stand, because for medical reasons I'm supposed to drink a lot and I know when it's busy it's hard to get away from the door?"

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Sara O.
on 5/17/13 1:34 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

Thank you Kelly. I wondered if it was best to mention it before or after the interview. I will hold off until I know whether I have the job or not.

jenni93
on 5/17/13 8:33 pm

This kind of thing may vary by state, I'm not sure, but my husband was a restaurant manager for 20 years and I do know that they were legally required to give a 15 minute unpaid break for every 4 hours worked (for hourly employees.  The salaried ones were different).  You might want to check the labor laws in your state, just so you're up to speed.  I also know that at his restaurant, employees were not allowed to eat or drink anything in front of customers, though they had an easily-accessible break area in the back, and employees were allowed to have a beverage there to sip on as needed, as long as they didn't abuse the privilege by taking actual "breaks" (you know, sitting down or hanging out and chit-chatting with others, for example.)

SW:  285   GW:  155    CW:  143          

Sara O.
on 5/18/13 10:21 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I will look into it. Thanks Jenni!

Laura in Texas
on 5/18/13 10:41 pm

I would not mention my surgery, but might say something like "I have trouble staying hydrated and my doctor wants me to drink a lot of water. Can I have water at the stand?" They have to give you a restroom break. I might eat a protein bar on the way about the 3 hour mark. I think you will be fine.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 489 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 455 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 45 replies · 417 views