Beating myself up!

Missy A.
on 5/22/13 12:59 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

I have been at the beach since Sunday morning and I'm really upset to report that I have failed eating correctly. While I stayed in track the majority of the time, I did give in and have two small ice cream cones (on different days) from a local ice cream shoppe. I can't believe I wavered from my healthy eating like that. I did get all my protein and liquids in, took all my vitamins, just the two times of weakness. Has anyone else "cheated" or given in while on vacation? I plan on getting back on track today when I get back home. I exercised two of the days but couldn't every day because I'm having knee pain and walking is killing me. I called my PCP and I see her tomorrow and will probably need an MRI. I've had this pain for awhile but not when exercising before. Matter fact I had to take Vicodin in order to sleep. Hopefully we can figure out what's up with the knee.

Missy

HW:348 Consult W:320 SW:295 Current W:156 GW:140

poet_kelly
on 5/22/13 1:02 am - OH

I've eaten ice cream when I'm not on vacation but I don't consider it cheating.  My goal is not to never eat ice cream or other treats again.  My goal is to eat healthy stuff most of the time and eat the treats in moderation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Missy A.
on 5/22/13 1:09 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Thank you for your response. I don't know why, but sometimes I'm so hard on myself and I forget to enjoy life!

Missy

PetHairMagnet
on 5/22/13 5:55 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On May 22, 2013 at 8:02 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

I've eaten ice cream when I'm not on vacation but I don't consider it cheating.  My goal is not to never eat ice cream or other treats again.  My goal is to eat healthy stuff most of the time and eat the treats in moderation.

Yes that is exactly the same for me!

Don't beat yourself up. It isn't like you sat in a dark room and downed a quart of ice cream and went looking for another. You had two ice cream cones over a week of vacation.

I'm impressed you did not dump or have other adverse reactions, but don't beat yourself up. Just get back to it and move on!

:)

Laura in Texas
on 5/22/13 1:06 am

You're 9 months out and 40 pounds from goal, if your ticker is correct. An occasional treat now and then is not going to derail you. Just be careful your indulgences do not start to outnumber your healthier choices.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Missy A.
on 5/22/13 1:12 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Thank you for your response. I need to just relax and learn to trust that I CAN do this!

Missy

Ocalasam
on 5/22/13 1:09 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I agree with Kelly.  If you never ever have a treat, then you'll feel deprived and could end up falling off the wagon.  As long as it is a special occasion treat and not a daily occurrance, enjoy it and move on.  There was probably a little protein in that ice cream anyway!  I know how you feel though - if I eat something that isn't full of protein, I feel like I am cheating or wasting calories.  It's a hard mentality to let go of. 

Missy A.
on 5/22/13 1:13 am - NC
RNY on 08/17/12

Thank you for your response. It's a very hard mentality to let go of. I am so eager to make goal and maintain that I forget to enjoy the life that this surgery has given back to me!

Missy

dahoodman
on 5/22/13 2:01 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Exactly! Take the advice you just gave yourself.

You didn't cheat, you gave yourself permission to live and enjoy life.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Sarah R.
on 5/22/13 1:30 am

Ummmm, we still live in the real world. The idea is to make lifestyle changes that are healthy....so do you eat icecream every day? or chow down a bag of candy, chips, etc...multiple times a day or week? I had pie last night....how often do I eat pie? About 3 times a year and I dont have half the pie and then continue to binge on junk. I had a piece of pie and today I go to the gym and life goes on. We all have to be careful to keep ourselves in check but the occasional foray out of a "perfect" eating plan will happen because that is what normal people do. I will be going on vacation in 2 weeks and I would bet that I wont be perfect...however I will get my protein and water in and make an effort to get some exercise in while gone at least for a couple days. Consider recumbent bike for a while...that is what I do when my ankles flair up.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views
Forum Search Error & 404